ENVE 2.2 Tubular, Rear Wheel Stiffness / Break Rub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Hi,

I have had a chance to try out the ENVE 2.2 Tubular wheelset, with DT240 hubs for 2 longer, mountainous rides.
Wonderful wheel and very light. However, I experience rear wheel breakrubbing whenever I get out of the saddle to power forward.
(For comparison, i have the 3.4 clinchers and they have never ever rubbed once)

Question: Have anyone else tried them? Is this to be expected on such light rim or is it due to the DT240 hub (flange diameter?) or wheel build (spoke tension etc.). If i got a set, should i be prepared for some break rubbing as normal?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Maybe take a pic of pad clearance and post. Most riders can make any wheel rub if you run the pads close enough to the rim. For reference I have DT hubs on a wheelset and never felt the love. The rear hub has had to be rebuilt twice but they are very serviceable. I'd want a better rear hub with super light rims.

kode54

by kode54

i have the Enve SES 4.5s and have issues with the play...so the rim does rub against the pads on occasion. they are on Chris King hubs. because i left the play in for more miles than i should've...i think the bearing races have the play in them...and not simply adjusting the collar. i've never had any issues of play on my DT Swiss 240 hubs on the SES 2.2. no play or flex whatsoever. is it the newer version with the molded in brake track? or the previous version?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wingguy

by wingguy

All of the 2.2s have the molded brake track.

CKs often develop a touch of play from new as they bed in and need the collar tightening, it's almost a feature. We try and mention it to everyone that buys some!

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Hi,

I open the rear break almost fully and get the rub despite that, so the wheel seem to be like a noodle.
It's from 2016, I wonder if my build is bad?

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Perhaps its more a function of rim width than the rim stiffness? The 2.2's are significantly wider than the 3.4's

wingguy

by wingguy

Also the guys at Roues Artisanales (sp?) claim from their testing that the stiffest wheels can actually increase the movement at the brake caliper. Basically if the stays/dropouts are flexing then the whole wheel is pivoting from side to side. With a moderately stiff wheel the wheel flex is counteracting the frame flex.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

This is a really great read for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunkin ... _3449.html

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

CEVelo

by CEVelo

spdntrxi wrote:http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/05/bikes-and-tech/reviews/reviewed-enve-ses-2-2-wheels_402932

This pretty much sums up my experience with the 2.2 tubulars. Not worthy the Enve name to price.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

CEVelo wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/05/bikes-and-tech/reviews/reviewed-enve-ses-2-2-wheels_402932

This pretty much sums up my experience with the 2.2 tubulars. Not worthy the Enve name to price.

Yup. After 4 months of riding them, it's time to sell them and get a different climber set.
Thinking Bora Ultra 35 tubs, almost as light at 1160 grams.

leicaman

by leicaman

CEVelo, That sucks. I was actually pretty much decided on a pair of Enve 2.2 laced to CK hubs. Now I'm having second thoughts. How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking? Are they a factory build wheelset or did a local wheelbuilder build them up for you?

mimason

by mimason

I've never been a fan of the DT rear hub. It does not build up that strong. It appears that the 2.2 hoops should be built up with a better hub. I'd build T11 but I know CKs build up better in the rear too. Why anyone would pay that kind of money for a carbon hub with DT innards amazes me and it sounds like the hoops need a stronger build equation to be solid, if the testing is credible.

Perhaps some builders should chime in that have worked with this rim....

CEVelo

by CEVelo

leicaman wrote:CEVelo, That sucks. I was actually pretty much decided on a pair of Enve 2.2 laced to CK hubs. Now I'm having second thoughts. How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking? Are they a factory build wheelset or did a local wheelbuilder build them up for you?

158-160 LBS depending on the day or week. Wheels where factory builds on DT240s and i put Ceramic Speed bearings in.
Yes, Can't help but wonder what a CK45 hub would do to this rim. I have CK45s on my 3.4s and they are rock solid.
Perhaps I should just go have these rebuilt on a CK45 (guess the wider flange may help?)

calleking

by calleking

I just took out my 2017 Enve 4.5 DT240 clinchers for my second time. I'm having a huge amount of flexing on my rear wheel even with the brakes fully opened. There is a lot of clearance. Front wheel flexes some too. Bike works flawlessly with Zonda C17 and Reynolds Strike SLG. Both clinchers. Frame is a 2016 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX.

I can easily make the rim touch the right brake pad with just a bit of pressure from one finger. Like a wet noodle. Left side isn't as bad. Really annoying for a wheelset at this price. I can feel that the wheelset would be fantastic without the flexing so I'm actually really disappointed at this point. I'm not heavy either: 74kg and FTP of 340-something with a really bad sprint so some power but nothing crazy.

Bought the wheels from a LBS in town. Not sure if they built it or if they came to them like this. I'm quite clueless about wheels but hopefully this flexing can be adjusted by LBS somehow otherwise I'm forced to sell the wheels.

Please tell me this sounds like a clear case of the wheels not beeing properly built. I'm shocked if they're supposed to flex like this. Renders them almost useless in my opinion.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com