Light, Robust Aluminium Clincher ideas

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ABenn94

by ABenn94

I am looking at getting a set of clincher built up for use on a BMC bike equipped with Athena EPS that is to become a better weather bike, I am a larger rider of 88kgs, 10 months ago was 123ks so after loosing weight from myself I want to try a lighter bike so lighter wheels. The wheels will have Vittoria pave Gc evo tyres in 25 on them and be used for a mix of UK roads and climbing in alps over the summer.

Currently plan is 20/28 tune mig/mag hubs laced to velocity quill rims with white DT Aerolite spokes and veloplugs, weight estimated around 1300.

Any comments, suggestions or ideas people may have? As of still high weight can not go too light or weak, on a budget of around £700 also

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What wheels do you have now.

Tune hubs in the U.K means dealing with Posh Bikes I will stop there as this is a public forum.
the Pacenti SL23 is a rim with very similar dimensions while being cheaper, the same weight but unlike velocity rims the QC on Pacenti rims is quite consistent. I have fund velocity rims to be inconsistent for roundness and some rims look cheaply finished (Velocity A23 for example) and have drilling swarf left. Many of the problems with velocity rims are a problem for the wheel builder not the end user.

Also have you verified the weight of the Quill I have not I would not assume it is 415g. Claimed weights can often be out by quite a bit.

White Industries T11 hubs are heavier but you will still have a 1400g build with a very reliable hub that a 3 year old could service.

Otherwise what you have in mind will work.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have just called the U.K distributor of velocity rims about the Quill. They are waiting for the first shipment but they have had samples through and they are under weight at 400g. So 1300g or a bit under for the build you describe is possible. However rims that light are not always reliable. It will depend on the thickness of the spoke nipple bed. This is unknown at this point.

From a weight weenie perspective is a very wide and light alloy clincher rim so there is little to dislike. Pricing should be around the £85 mark for the rim.

ABenn94

by ABenn94

Wouldn't deal with posh bikes would source hubs from starbike and am happy with them, the wheels themselves wouldn't be built up by a friend and am willing to be the test monkey for the quill and as have mixed feeling on the pacenti as have heard negative comments on breaking ability and pulsing and these will be thrown down alpine decents and rather not have pulsing, and these wheels would be the first set for this frame

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Some one needs to test the quill.

If you buy the hubs from starbikes which will be cheaper (my first problem with tune in the U.K) you will not be able to get any help with warranty from posh bikes (my second problem).

The pacenti rim does not have issues with brake pulsing or poor braking. Pulsing can only occur if the rim is not flat. Pacenti SL23 rims are one of the flatest about. As a wheel build I have no returns or complaints about any rim for brake pulsing for three years whether it Pacenti or anything else. The last was a Kinlin XR-300 rim.

Be a test pilot for Velocity but don't dismiss the Pacenti because of fears which are are unfounded.

Multebear

by Multebear

ABenn94 wrote:
Currently plan is 20/28 tune mig/mag hubs laced to velocity quill rims with white DT Aerolite spokes and veloplugs, weight estimated around 1300.

If you want something bombproof for you weight, you might want to consider a 24/28 configuration instead. 20/28 might work, but 24/28 is definitely safer for you weight. I'm only a few kg lighter, and I ride 24/28 just to make sure, that I don't have to worry about the wheels.

Besides that, why do you want to use Tune hubs? You can get Bitex hubs at around $ 120, and they are only 8 grams heavier. I've done 8.000 km in rain, snow and cx on mine. I've even washed the bike (and wheels/hubs) with high-pressure pumps several times after cx rides, and the hubs still spin smoothly. If the bearings should fail, you can get new endura bearings at $ 6 a piece...

But I'm looking forward to hear your review on the rims. They look very similar in weight and dimensions to the new Pacenti SL23. Just a bit more expensive.

LouisN

by LouisN

bm0p700f wrote:Some one needs to test the quill.

If you buy the hubs from starbikes which will be cheaper (my first problem with tune in the U.K) you will not be able to get any help with warranty from posh bikes (my second problem).

The pacenti rim does not have issues with brake pulsing or poor braking. Pulsing can only occur if the rim is not flat. Pacenti SL23 rims are one of the flatest about. As a wheel build I have no returns or complaints about any rim for brake pulsing for three years whether it Pacenti or anything else. The last was a Kinlin XR-300 rim.

Be a test pilot for Velocity but don't dismiss the Pacenti because of fears which are are unfounded.

As soon as I get my hands on some 20-24H rims, I'll build two sets. And report back.

Louis :)

LouisN

by LouisN

Seems like we won't see the Velocity Quill for a while.
I sent Velocity USA a message about why they weren't available as 20-24H yet.

Here's the reply from Velocity:
-"We’ve had to go back to the drawing board after a small modification we had made to our dies after our first few batches. We have pushed the limits on this rim, and we came up with a very nice design, however manufacturing it has been a headache. We were scrapping more than were able to sell, so we had to make a small modification to relieve our scrape rate, after that modification there was a weird wave that began to happen when built up to tension. We had decided to hold off on selling anymore until we could come up with a solution. This is taking some time. We might not see them for a while, based on how things enter into production, and the design phase it could be late summer for all I know. Sorry about the bad news. We want to make sure we are doing the right thing, by producing a great product rather than a so so product."

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

oh that's why I have not seem them yet then.