Velocite filament wound rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

justaute wrote:Victor,

Let me digress a bit from the 507 rims. Anything in the works for the gravel/cx, tubeless crowd? I know the Rev 35 has pretty good specs (19 int/27 ext), but am curious if anything is in the works for something wider and tubeless (e.g. +21 int/+27 ext)? I guess similar spec to your 507, but more of Rev 35 height and good bead-lock for PSI/burp and flat-safety.

sorry for not replying sooner. For some reason I was unsubscribed from this thread, and forgot to keep checking manually.

The answer is no :)

If we open a wider 29" rim for MTB use then yes, but for now the Rev 35 is actually good. The Alter also works well as you get a nice round profile on your tire and it is a mid depth very light rim.

V.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

vmajor wrote:In not immediately useful news, we have a 76mm rim profile design ready. We developed the profile by using an artificial intelligence optimisation loop, within constraints. When we let it loose the optimal width of the rim with a 25mm tire and 76mm depth was 45mm which was not going to work... I hope to have the 76mm rim ready this year sometime.

V.

Interesting. I recall that you said for 50.7mm best aero with U-shaped would be 30mm+ that's why we get the 507's V-like shape. So the deeper it get, the more wide it require to make it best aero possible?
In that case, the limit would be around 32mm for disc brake (like Enve 4.5 AR disc) and around 29.9mm (like Roval CLX64) for rim brake right?

Also, 25mm tire means literally 25mm measured width? or the tire labelled 25c which is usually 28-29mm wide?

vmajor

by vmajor

Hexsense wrote:Interesting. I recall that you said for 50.7mm best aero with U-shaped would be 30mm+ that's why we get the 507's V-like shape. So the deeper it get, the more wide it require to make it best aero possible?
In that case, the limit would be around 32mm for disc brake (like Enve 4.5 AR disc) and around 29.9mm (like Roval CLX64) for rim brake right?

Also, 25mm tire means literally 25mm measured width? or the tire labelled 25c which is usually 28-29mm wide?

Yes, that is why I did not go with a "U" shape with the 507 as it cannot do much due to the 25mm wide tire as measured, not as it says on the tire casing. 507 thus has good trailing edge aerodynamics and very good handling characteristics.

Regarding the depth, no...the reason for the rim width is the shape of the tire which is aerodynamically very bad. The extra rim depth only makes it a bit less terrible. Any open (ie. not solid disc) rim would need to be about 45mm wide in order for the aerodynamics to be optimal with tires inflated to 25mm wide. If you then go to 28mm tires, you'd basically need an airplane wing to make it work.

There are no aerodynamically optimal rims available (besides solid discs, they are cool). We are all limited by the real life constraints: available space and acceptable weight. Lastly, open wheel, unfaired vehicles are beyond salvation when it comes to aerodynamics, so all we can do is focus on minimising the damage...

When the market moves back to narrow tires (everyone realizes that crr is irrelevant compared to aerodynamic drag, and comfort is subjective) we can do a better job :)

V.

bruto

by bruto

Rondo bikes posing with your FW rims, Victor?
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/30/eb ... road-bike/

vmajor

by vmajor

Yes our rims, not our wheels though so that's all I know :)

gravity

by gravity

Do you think you can do matte satin finish? Or gloss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmajor

by vmajor

We do two types of finish: matte or gloss. Our wheels are as standard with matte clear coat.

V.

gravity

by gravity

Thanks for the reply. I havent seen the gloss finish anywhere tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmajor

by vmajor

Indeed, gloss finish is only used for customers that request it. I also have no samples to show you. They look nice too, but matte is more popular.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

vmajor wrote:And finally for EU riders outside of Belgium and the Netherlands we finally (almost) have a sales channel. Here is our direct sales shop: Venn Cycling online shop

The shop is still under testing so until it is done there is a discount and a free shipping offer as inevitably something will go wrong, so I am trying to buy your patience with a discount...

Thinking about ordering a set of two Venn Rev 35 TCD rims, but those don't seem to be available on your shop at this time… Are they out of stock or any other reason for not offering this particular version of the rim? Thanks!

vmajor

by vmajor

The container with rims in it is arriving on Monday. We will then know exactly what has been shipped. I believe we should have some rims...but I am not sure. We do have wheels though... hint, hint :)

V.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

vmajor wrote:The container with rims in it is arriving on Monday. We will then know exactly what has been shipped. I believe we should have some rims...but I am not sure. We do have wheels though... hint, hint :)

Haha, hint taken. I am however quite set on Hope RS4 hubs for some nice color coordination. Not yet sure whether to go for a factory built Hope RD40 wheelset or build myself, but if I do then your Rev 35 TCD rims are quite high up on my wishlist. Do let us know what arrived in your container on Monday!

vmajor

by vmajor

OK will do :)

vmajor

by vmajor

Unfortunately we did not receive sufficient quantity of Venn Rev 35 TCD rims. We do have Venn Alter 44 TCD however.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

vmajor wrote:Unfortunately we did not receive sufficient quantity of Venn Rev 35 TCD rims. We do have Venn Alter 44 TCD however.

Ahh, bummer. Any idea when your next shipment is expected? Or what the price would be if ordered directly from your overseas operation? I'm not in any hurry yet though, this is for a bike to be given as a birthday/retirement gift to my father and doesn't need to be ready until March next year.