Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
addictR1

by addictR1

dj97223: those are the bora one models right? but i might get hit with import fees... which i heard is a biatch~!

dj97223

by dj97223

Bora one. I suppose you might, but I did not. And I think most people do not. I have no idea what the amount would be.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

I ordered a set of Bora One 50 tubulars and a set of Bora One 35 clinchers, both from Starbike and did not get charged import fees either time. This was two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

addictR1

by addictR1

since i got my Aero72 in tubular.. i love the way it rides.

2 part question:
i carry a can of vittoria pitstop with me in case if i get a flat. but what happens next time if i get another flat? use another can of vittoria pitstop?

is it worthwhile to bring an extra tubular tire? i've heard some suggest to bring a tufo track tubular tires, but how would you install it on the side of the road unless if you use tubular tape or something.

sungod

by sungod

i gave up on vittoria pitstop, tufo extreme works much much better

i carry a tufo <160g tub as a spare - glue the basetape, let it dry, fold it and secure with elastic band, keep in a ziploc freezer bag to protect it, it's only a bit larger than a conti inner tube (tub, pump, tufo, minitool and other stuff all fit in centre rear jersey pocket)

tub on the left, inner tube on the right...

if i get a flat that can't be sealed, pull of the flat tub, put the tufo tub on, inflate as hard as i can manage at least 7bar, it'll stick well enough just avoid hard cornering/braking, ride home, remove tufo and refold, fit a new tub

this is based on glued tubs

beatle

by beatle

addictR1 wrote:since i got my Aero72 in tubular.. i love the way it rides.

2 part question:
i carry a can of vittoria pitstop with me in case if i get a flat. but what happens next time if i get another flat? use another can of vittoria pitstop?

is it worthwhile to bring an extra tubular tire? i've heard some suggest to bring a tufo track tubular tires, but how would you install it on the side of the road unless if you use tubular tape or something.

For the spare tubular (I suggest the tufo as it is so small), preglue it, let dry and then fold so that the glued sides are facing each other. I have one of those Specalized "bandit" systems under my Power saddle. It is very compact. Also, I run sealant in my tubulars right from the start; I suggest Orange Seal if you do this. But I ride daily so the sealant never sits long in one place.

*edit* whoops too late as sungod covers it. I have had to use the tufo track spare to get home on crappy roads, approx. 20 miles or so, no problem.

addictR1

by addictR1

Is this the one?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/tufo-elit ... #pid=22594

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

that's the <125g, but bear in mind it is a track tyre, very low weight means thin rubber and no extra puncture protection

i use this one, it's a bit heavier, designed for road use and has some extra protection...

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/tufo-elit ... #pid=23167

beatle

by beatle

addictR1 wrote:Is this the one?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/tufo-elit ... #pid=22594

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the one I used. And a lot cheaper than I paid for it. :x

It folds up to the size of a tube.

sungod

by sungod

around europe prices are all over the place, germany is often good if you shop around - need to look at delivery charges too though

addictR1

by addictR1

Nice! Glad I checked with you all on the Tufo first.

Btw, I know that Veloflex has a tendency to lose air quickly. Last night @ 12:24AM, I finally mounted the rear Veloflex sprinter on my aero72 and pumped it up to 120psi.

Just checked in on it at 9am and I see the psi dropped to 112or so on my lezyne sport floor drive pump. Is that normal?

beatle

by beatle

Absolutely normal.

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks beatle

beatle

by beatle

:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

After a few days they will be completely flat. I couldn't believe the difference between the Conti Comps and the Veloflex Carbons. Comps would hardly drop any psi and the Carbons would loose 5psi on a ride.