Fast light training wheels.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy wrote:Zonda 2 way fit will fit the bill perfectly.

+1.

BTW ... shamal and FFWDs are similar weight. I wouldn't buy either - overpriced vs. Zondas or Farsports offerings for that matter.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Especially for winter training wheels... unless you have money to burn. That is a completely different matter. :wink:

I would however strongly consider a set of handbuilts that fit your riding style and requirements.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have been interested in trying the FFWD wheels for a long time, but have not done so yet. I have been on Shamals for my Campagnolo-equipped bikes as part of a long-term tubeless test. I have been quite impressed with them and would not hesitate to recommend them.

The overall build quality is very high, as you would expect from Campagnolo. The fit and finish is exceptional and the ride is very smooth with the tubeless tires on. I kind if like the spokes, too. Like all Campagnolo hubs, they are adjustable (woo-hoo!). They feel a bit tight at first. After you run them for a few hundred kilometres, you will need to tighten them up again. I like the Campagnolo freehub, which exactly matches the cassette (no machining short-cuts here).

I have seen all the videos with guys sealing-up Campagnolo tubeless with a floor pump, but I couldn't get it to work. A large-capacity compressor and a few ounces of Stans later, everything was perfect.

As all-around training wheels, tubeless may well be the way to go, which may be harder to do right with hand-built wheels. I think you will be very happy with the Shamals.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Shamal for the bling. Zonda is a no-nonsense alternative. You won't really miss anything getting the Zonda. I have both.

Timujin

by Timujin

Thanks Fellas, great feedback..

Although I like the idea of Handbuilt Wheels the logistics for me would cause me a great deal of headache.. so its factory wheels..

I tried the Shamals at the wkd..

Not as bling as the Bora's.. instantly noticed going up the hills too... Bora's fly up them...

I think for £550 Shamals seem to be the best priced options, no one I know has zonda's, most ride in shimano too.. the Dura Ace c24 look like a great wheel too, but will it be easy to get an adapater for the freehub, not looked into it... same price as the shamals...

r_mutt

by r_mutt

i don't think you can get the DA24 to work with Campag. i looked into it and ran into a dead end.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

£550 for Shamals? even with no vat that's still a deal....where from mate?

mr_tim

by mr_tim

http://tinyurl.com/puz6j7f

So that's £ 486 without the VAT.

sawyer

by sawyer

You're still better off with Zondas.

Honestly - I own both and have put many miles on them all.

Zs are smoother riding if not quite as snappy.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Timujin

by Timujin

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:£550 for Shamals? even with no vat that's still a deal....where from mate?

Hi Mate. From Ribble.

When reducing by VAT, the dont give you full 20%.. but its around 17-18% off..

The ribble price for me is £724.96. Reducing by VAT it works out at £507 (there is also a ribble discount built in)

Timujin

by Timujin

mr_tim wrote:http://tinyurl.com/puz6j7f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So that's £ 486 without the VAT.

it works out to be £507. they never give you full VAT, a little admin is charged for paperwork which is fair enough..

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

nice price....

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I had a pair of Shamals and they're great wheels, but I could do without the harshness of the aluminium spokes. That might be something to take into consideration.

Timujin

by Timujin

Sjoerd wrote:I had a pair of Shamals and they're great wheels, but I could do without the harshness of the aluminium spokes. That might be something to take into consideration.

Thanks Sjoerd. Could you please explain a little further why you feel you could do without the harshness of the aluminium spokes.... all info is welcome..

:-)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'll bite. :)

IME aluminium spokes as used on a variety of Mavic Ksyrium look alikes have two major inconveniences:

-they are too wide to not catch crosswinds essentially behaving worse under such conditions than say, a Bora wheel set.

- they offer almost zero vertical flex which make them feel harsh and uncomfy. Lack of comfort invariably induces muscle fatigue in the long run.

Just my 2 euro cents, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com