Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LD001

by LD001

Thanks, the CLX have the same internal width as the LB rims. The LB rims seems to be the widest (28mm) at the top where you brake. Is that the same with the CLX wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jengaback

by Jengaback

Didn't measure it I'm afraid but that seems about right

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LD001

by LD001

LD001 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 pm
The 28mm wide Lightbicycle rims looks like a really nice option. I am thinking of getting a set for my allez sprint but notice they are advertised for disc/gravel kind of bikes. What is the consensus here: if you are looking for a mix of aero, light, comfort is this a good option for a rimbrake bike. I would be using 26mm tubeless s works tires on these.
Any more thoughts on the 28mm wheels on a rimbrake bike?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

LD001 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 am
yes, many many pages back. Scatter through this whole thread.
It work and still work well on my bike. Nothing to update other than what already in this thread.

Also check "Velocite filament wound rims" thread. Some good information on rim shape, rim width and aerodynamic that also apply to Light-bicycle rims are there.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Is there an alternate maufacter other then Lightbicycle with the same dimesions?

Symetrical, 21 inner, 28mm outter width, approx 32-36mm tall?

LD001

by LD001

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 pm
LD001 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 am
yes, many many pages back. Scatter through this whole thread.
It work and still work well on my bike. Nothing to update other than what already in this thread.

Also check "Velocite filament wound rims" thread. Some good information on rim shape, rim width and aerodynamic that also apply to Light-bicycle rims are there.
Thanks, very helpful!

LD001

by LD001

I ordered a set 46mm 28mm wide Light Bicycle rims with Carbon Ti Hubs and Sapim CX-ray spokes. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Beaver

by Beaver

Ronin416 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 pm
Is there an alternate maufacter other then Lightbicycle with the same dimesions?

Symetrical, 21 inner, 28mm outter width, approx 32-36mm tall?
NOX S36R https://glorycycles.com/nox-s36r-road-c ... ncher-rim/ which is replaced by the a tad narrower and lighter http://www.noxcomposites.com/falkor36r

And Roval CLX 32 as a wheelset.

Beaver

by Beaver

Marin wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:05 am
I'm not buying anything wider than 18-19 internal, or 25-26 external, and I run up to 35mm wide tires on that. You want some bulge in the tire for the sidewall to work, and to be shielded from cuts.

We used to run 2.3" MTB tires on 19c, that was a bit sketchy, but road tires? Don't believe the hype.
Have you tried 25mm tires on 21C rims with low pressure? Fast and comfortable, you won't want to run narrow rims again...

And the bulge to protect the rim is fine offroad but what sense does it have on road? :noidea:

bilwit

by bilwit

Beaver wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:42 pm
Marin wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:05 am
I'm not buying anything wider than 18-19 internal, or 25-26 external, and I run up to 35mm wide tires on that. You want some bulge in the tire for the sidewall to work, and to be shielded from cuts.

We used to run 2.3" MTB tires on 19c, that was a bit sketchy, but road tires? Don't believe the hype.
Have you tried 25mm tires on 21C rims with low pressure? Fast and comfortable, you won't want to run narrow rims again...

And the bulge to protect the rim is fine offroad but what sense does it have on road? :noidea:
I've seen someone fall off and get huge scratches on the rim because of this.. that said, I bought the LB CX36 a month ago (they still have yet to ship it :( ) and plan on putting 25mm continentals on them too but I can see why it would be preferrable (despite aero or weight or any other performance reasons)

Exar

by Exar

For anybody who's interested: I bought a Zipp 404 FC-inspired rim, 58mm deep clincher with dimples. Finish was good but not flawless. Weight was 500 gr. for a 24-hole rim without any decals, I had a real 20 hole 404 FC rim (for the front wheel) that weighed 535 gr. (including decals). The Chineze rim is a bit darker, the Zipp rims are actually a bit brownish, but you only really notice when it's really sunny.
Chains to the right!

Svetty

by Svetty

How long do most people wait for their rims from LightBicycle? I assume they inform you once the rims have been manufactured and are shipped?

bilwit

by bilwit

Svetty wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:13 pm
How long do most people wait for their rims from LightBicycle? I assume they inform you once the rims have been manufactured and are shipped?
You just get the tracking number once it's built and shipped. You can email them for updates throughout though.

I ordered from the North American distribution site thinking it would be faster but it took nearly 5 weeks to get it shipped to me (order sent in 02/19 and it arrived on 03/24). It actually would have taken longer if I didn't bug them with a status update once the one month mark went by (they said they'd mark it as a build priority and ship it ASAP once they recieved the rims from their HQ). That said, the custom build ones will take longer obviously since they don't have them ready on hand like the standard setups. Once I got them I couldn't really be more pleased (though I kind of regret not getting the gloss version!)

Svetty

by Svetty

bilwit wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 am
Svetty wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:13 pm
You just get the tracking number once it's built and shipped. You can email them for updates throughout though.

I ordered from the North American distribution site thinking it would be faster but it took nearly 5 weeks to get it shipped to me (order sent in 02/19 and it arrived on 03/24). It actually would have taken longer if I didn't bug them with a status update once the one month mark went by (they said they'd mark it as a build priority and ship it ASAP once they recieved the rims from their HQ). That said, the custom build ones will take longer obviously since they don't have them ready on hand like the standard setups. Once I got them I couldn't really be more pleased (though I kind of regret not getting the gloss version!)
Thanks, I'll give it a little longer then email if I've not heard anything :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Exar wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:51 am
For anybody who's interested: I bought a Zipp 404 FC-inspired rim, 58mm deep clincher with dimples. Finish was good but not flawless. Weight was 500 gr. for a 24-hole rim without any decals, I had a real 20 hole 404 FC rim (for the front wheel) that weighed 535 gr. (including decals). The Chineze rim is a bit darker, the Zipp rims are actually a bit brownish, but you only really notice when it's really sunny.
That is a pretty sweet weight for a 58mm deep clincher! Where did you get those? I'd like to see the other specs, and also any reports you have on how good/bad the braking is.