Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

On my hookless 46mm rims I run a 25c Schwalbe Pro One tire on the front which measures up around 28mm and a 28c Pro One on the rear that measures up around 30mm.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

Beaver wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:35 pm

I just got my RR036C02 and took the hooks - without the inner rim width is higher and e.g. a 25mm Conti 4000S II, which is already 28.5mm wide on these rims, would have more tire overlap.

Hookless with 40spi is for >30mm tires and offroad usage.
What was your final build weight with the carbon ti hubs? I assume CXRay spokes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Yes, CX Ray and 1,300g on point. Still no trouble at all. *knockonwood*

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback on yeoleo out there, good bad or indifferent. Kinda curious as they're one of the more established outfits...looking at the 60mm clinchers with their sl-hub and cx rays ... any input appreciated!

kidrob

by kidrob

patchsurfer wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:16 am
Doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback on yeoleo out there, good bad or indifferent. Kinda curious as they're one of the more established outfits...looking at the 60mm clinchers with their sl-hub and cx rays ... any input appreciated!
Have been following this guy's tutorial videos some time, his following video shows a set of YoeLeo Super Light 38 mm: https://youtu.be/sCzgqlFmE5I

fordred

by fordred

patchsurfer wrote:
I'm using Yeoleo C60 with cx rays and dt 350 hubs with my Trek SC.

They are actually my 4th pair of wheels from them. Have recommended them to many of my friends who are repeated customers themselves. Started with an older 38mm V shape clincher for $400 with cheap spokes and hubs, but sold pretty soon cos I wanted to get a U shape C50 with pillar spokes and Novatec hubs. Sold that because I got myself a zipp for IM. After the IM, sold my bike together with the zipp, and got another set of C50 with cx rays and novatec hubs. The Novatec hub's rear bearing started wearing out pretty soon, and it never really felt smooth so i sold that too and got this current C60 with DT hubs.

So in general, YeoLeo wheels have very good quality. wheelset is well built, spoke tension are pretty even. Been riding on the current C60 for a year or so without any truing needed. I've currently pretty heavy at 85kg but have never felt flex or have the wheels rub the brakes.

Braking is quite good with black prince. I didn't use their stock brake pads before cos i had my own.
Earlier versions had a pulsing issue during braking, but Leo told me it was fixed and true enough, my C60 brakes nice and smooth.

It does however seem to catch sidewinds a little more than Zipp 404 FC. I have good impressions of my own 404 FC and don't remember being blown around much at all, or the wind have been getting stronger recently.

I live in a pretty flat area and don't have much Alps descending experience to share. I usually will change to alu clinchers if I'm going for some overseas climbs with downhills.

Anything else u wanna know?

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Hey thanks, that's great information. I live on the west coast of NZ, next stop Chile = plenty of wind around these parts, so thanks for the info around the handling in the wind - plenty to think on. The other combo I'm looking at is the AForce AL33 - a bit different, same budget, etc. Weighing up pros and cons...

Cheers,

Simon

fordred

by fordred

patchsurfer wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 pm
Hey thanks, that's great information. I live on the west coast of NZ, next stop Chile = plenty of wind around these parts, so thanks for the info around the handling in the wind - plenty to think on. The other combo I'm looking at is the AForce AL33 - a bit different, same budget, etc. Weighing up pros and cons...

Cheers,

Simon
Can always consider a 38mm front and 50mm rear combo. Leo is pretty flexible with the orders. Feel free to drop him a message on Facebook.
I would really recommend the DT swiss hubs over Novatec even with the extra weight/dollars.

The order backlog is pretty long though. Do be prepared to wait for more than a month unless u get the decal rim. Decals are under the top coat so you can't tear it off.

Svetty

by Svetty

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:42 pm
I'm using LB 46mm in the front right now and it's indeed superb.
I just hope they release 56mm or 52mm or whatever 52-58 and i'll pull the trigger to use one in the rear as well.

Really don't get why they stop at 36 and 46 and not any taller. Just replace the whole old line of 25mm wide with these new wider set already.
Because not everyone wants extra-wide rims and because many frames won't accept rims that are 2.5 cm wide.

Svetty

by Svetty

Svetty wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 pm
Hexsense wrote:
I just hope they release 56mm or 52mm or whatever 52-58 and i'll pull the trigger to use one in the rear as well.

Really don't get why they stop at 36 and 46 and not any taller. Just replace the whole old line of 25mm wide with these new wider set already.
Because not everyone wants extra-wide rims and because many frames won't accept rims that are 2.8 cm wide.

hidefguy

by hidefguy

patchsurfer wrote:
I've had the C60 since June 7 last year 7100 miles. Bought with the sl hubs, cx ray spokes. The rear hub went bad about 2 months ago it would not free wheel. Had the bike shop replace the bearings. Other than that pretty happy customer, no problems descending or braking. Oh I had them check the trueness and both wheels were still true.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Svetty wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 pm
Hexsense wrote:

Because not everyone wants extra-wide rims and because many frames won't accept rims that are 2.8 cm wide.
Is it really rim width limited? not tire width limited? I see that for many old brakes those will need thin brake pad instead of normal thickness brake pad for rim this wide. But Does the frame also not clear the rim??? That would mean they won't have good clearance for tire >25mm wide too, so you are forced to use 23c on normal rim all the time?

reply below is for tire width limited.
They don't force you to buy only the wide rim with 28mm outer and 21mm inner and put 25c on. you still can buy 28mm outer 18.5mm inner from other manufacturer or any narrower old stock from them or somewhere else. Or buy new rim and put 23c on new wide rim which will be as wide as your old 25c on their normal rim and supposed to have pressure and rolling resistance charactoristic of your 25c tire on narrow(er, relatively) rim already. It's normal to feel alarmed with the idea of putting 23c on 21mm inner width. But in reallity, the 23c are ~63mm across when lay flat (25c are around 68-70mm across on most big brands, only 65mm or less on Veloflex and Zipp) and is enough skin area to form a nice tire shape. HED recommend 22c on their 20+mm inner width too. These tight tubeless rim and Kevlar bead tire are tight and secure.

okay, well I'm tired of explaining and informing people that 23c on these wide rim is like 25c on old narrower rim. Maybe not fully replacing, just offer extra option then.

Marin

by Marin

I'm not buying anything wider than 18-19 internal, or 25-26 external, and I run up to 35mm wide tires on that. You want some bulge in the tire for the sidewall to work, and to be shielded from cuts.

We used to run 2.3" MTB tires on 19c, that was a bit sketchy, but road tires? Don't believe the hype.

LD001

by LD001

The 28mm wide Lightbicycle rims looks like a really nice option. I am thinking of getting a set for my allez sprint but notice they are advertised for disc/gravel kind of bikes. What is the consensus here: if you are looking for a mix of aero, light, comfort is this a good option for a rimbrake bike. I would be using 26mm tubeless s works tires on these.

Jengaback

by Jengaback

Specializeds own Roval CLX wheels have the same internal width as the LB rims and they shipped them with 22mm tyres as the perfect aero package. My colleague mounted 23mm GP4000s2 on CLX64s and they mounted up very nicely. I tried 28mm tyres and the profile was ideal but not as aero as the skinnier tyres were. All about priorities

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com