Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

sib wrote:Thanks!
A couple more questions:

1. Do you have any side-on photographs of the List?
2. How long are the List and the Lupina?

Hi,
here is a photo, the carbon saddle shells are 275mm, once padded it is around 280mm (the saddles on the photo). On the photo a List and Lupina 132mm saddle shells which aren't yet bonded to the carbon saddle rails:

We'll for now produce only black, but already experimenting with different colours, for sure something we'll offer in the future (more colours)

@sugarkane
we didn't put it yet in production, we didn't even put our 27.2mm for sale yet because we are too busy with all kind of projects and we'll need to hire some new team members, working on it and hopefully we will soon offer all the products we already developed and tested.

KWalker

by KWalker

I used the Lupina on my mountain bike and never had an issue with the tail catching.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

Berk wrote:we didn't put it yet in production, we didn't even put our 27.2mm for sale yet because we are too busy with all kind of projects and we'll need to hire some new team members, working on it and hopefully we will soon offer all the products we already developed and tested.

What’s the projected weight of the seat post, and what’s the weight limit? I’d love to have some Berk peices on my bike :thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

It can also be used on MTB, but we don't promote our saddles at all as a MTB saddle, because any MTB rider drops the bike sooner or later, and it will land on the saddle, which isn't designed to take such impacts.

For the seatpost - yes we will put a weight limit, mostly because it is designed for a specific weight to get the best properties in terms of comfort. It isn't the same if the rider is 60kg or 100kg, so mainly we'll put a limit because of that. In case of a bigger rider the layup could be too flexy and in those case we would need to customize it. But we are so busy that we didn't managed yet to put in production new products, but we work on that.

Otherwise some more photos from our workshop, working on the padded saddles:

Some Lukna saddles in matte and gloss:

And a photo from a weekend ride, in Slovenian hills, I guess our UK friends would feel great in that part of Slovenia :lol:

DOUG

by DOUG

Really hanging out for a 25.4mm Berk seat post to pair with my List saddle.

Quick ride review on the List. After coming from a Fizik Arione R1 which has served me very well over the last few years I was worried about changing saddles. First ride on the new bike was 120km gran fondo style event with quite a lot of rough roads and I found it very comfortable, even more so than the Arione. Iv'e since put about 400km on the List and my first impressions have only be confirmed. I think the List is a little bit wider towards the front which suits me better as i tend to ride quite far forward on the saddle. The 7mm round rails provide a bit of extra comfort over bumps compared to the 7x9 oval rails on the Fizik as well, plus I really like the understated look of the List, works really well on the Supersix.

Keep up the great work!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hi Jure, can you post picture of the Berk cycling clothing? Will this be available at some point too?

KaneChang

by KaneChang

The Lupina is a lightweight and strong saddle in the world, 10g increase than C59 but more stronger!

C59 weight limit only 80kg, I can’t take it on my bike... :noidea:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for your review DOUG!
We don't plan to offer any of our clothing for the market, we only ordered a few for our own use/promotion.
Our saddles have a weight limit of 100kg with oval saddle rails

A few more new photos, custom 3K Twill saddles for our friend Skunkworks :thumbup:

An integrated Berk combo in 3K Plain:

And another pair, a custom edition with leather. It weights a bit more (220g per shoe for size 44), but we can of course use also leather that adds some weight compared to our original Sito shoe

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Berk wrote:An integrated Berk combo in 3K Plain:

I'm lusting for an integrated set-up seat post / saddle and stem / bar set-up's from you!

Tell us more about the "ride" characteristics of your integrated seat post and Lupina saddles. I think I recall you writing earlier that there is less "bounce" in your integrated set-up's. It makes sense to me visually seeing the attachment method you use.

I happily rode a San Selle Superleggera (and its earlier version Composite) for years that was hard as concrete with zero "bounce" or forgiveness. It was a winner for me. After >7 years, I upgraded to your Lupina that I can noticeably flex in my hands (and assume it's doing the same under me on the road). My new Lupina is every bit as good and likely better than my old Superleggera in terms of comfort.

All this to say, what makes a carbon saddle a winner? Is it the shape, flex or some combination of both?

Here's a different way to ask the same thing. Is your Lupina better with a standard seat post attachment or an integrated set-up?

(I'm afraid the answers will be "it depends." :D )

cerro

by cerro

Tried my Lupina combo on my Diverge gravelbike today, was a bit muddy but felt really good. Love it :) Thinking of changing my regular Specialized S-Works Toupe for a Lupina :)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Berk wrote:Thanks for your review DOUG!
We don't plan to offer any of our clothing for the market, we only ordered a few for our own use/promotion.
Our saddles have a weight limit of 100kg with oval saddle rails

A few more new photos, custom 3K Twill saddles for our friend Skunkworks :thumbup:

An integrated Berk combo in 3K Plain:

And another pair, a custom edition with leather. It weights a bit more (220g per shoe for size 44), but we can of course use also leather that adds some weight compared to our original Sito shoe

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

My my... There's no end to the queue if you are willing to do those shoes in all sorts of prints with every order...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Has anybody gone from a Fizik Arione w/carbon rails to a Lupina?

kgt

by kgt

I had gone from an Arione to a Selle Italia SLR (which is similar to Lupina's shape if I am right) and the SLR was much more comfortable for me. You know that a saddle's fit is very subjective of course.

Cathalu

by Cathalu

Those shoes are class. Some non leather in colours would be brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com