Hygge Project 7.0kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

Been looking at this frame for some time and finally took the chance to purchase it when it was on clearance.
Goal is to aliexpress every single part of the bike and hope that the bike doesnt break down while riding.

Bike purpose : Long distance touring and racing
Weight when done : Currently based on the build it will be around 7.1Kg
Price : Targeted Sub 3.4K USD. Actual 3.1K USD

Full Build Specs

Frame specs:
Size : 51cm
Brakes: 140mm rear/ 160mm front disc brakes
Bottle cage bolts: Aluminimum
Weight : 1010g

Hope to lighten it by going with Ti bolts on the cage bolts

Fork:
Weight : 349g uncut

Notes: I damaged the threads on the caliper while mounting the front brakes and ended up having to use a tap and die set to redo the threads

Seatpost
Weight : 195g uncut
Bolts: Currently Steel, will upgrade to a Ti bolt
Notes: Cant seem to find a place to put Di-2 battery on it, will probably buy the groupset and decide on where to mount battery

Handlebar:
Specs: 90 *38mm
Weight : 394g inclusive of carbon garmin and light mount
Notes: Will upgrade the bolts to ti bolts for increased durability and weight savings

Misc:
Headset: 120 g
Headset spacer: 56g
Thru axle: 63g
Not too sure how to lighten these parts for little money

Groupset:
Brake calipers : Shimano Ultegera
Notes: Mounting bolts to use Ti
Last edited by sadisticnoob on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

sadisticnoob wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:32 pm
Maybe I am being overly picky in this age of press-fit bottom bracket shells, but seems to me those threads could stand to be chased before threading in a bottom bracket.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:25 pm
sadisticnoob wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:32 pm
Maybe I am being overly picky in this age of press-fit bottom bracket shells, but seems to me those threads could stand to be chased before threading in a bottom bracket.
I had to rethread the front brake caliper mount , I do not have a tool lying around to chase the thread, will probably do it manually using an old bottom bracket

frnchy

by frnchy

Nice looking frame, pretty respectable weight! I would recommend attacking the BB threads with soapy water and a stiff bristle nylon brush before threading in any BB; if there's a little metal fragment in there from when the threads were cut, it could really mess things up if not scrubbed out beforehand.

As for the Di2 battery, you might be able to put it down the seattube, but I didn't have luck with this method on my gravel bike. You could probably put it down the headtube and have it live by the bottom bracket - I did this and it worked well. I did a writeup with some more details, see https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4662.0.html

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

looks good and not bad weight

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

Managed to order the 105 di2 full groupset today , will not be using the chain, rotors, brake caliper and crankset.

Weight as shown:
Shiters , 440g , front D 137g , rear D , 299g , cables and battery 72g

probably , able to cut a few grams as the rear D b link 2 attachement can be taken off.

Unfortunately, the bike lacks the rubber grommet and battery holder to install the battery, so off to order from aliexpress.
And also, the di2 wiring tool was somehow not provided.
Also ordered some ti bolts, to shave weight.

Still to come wheels, crankset for the full bike

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

After playing around with a needle nose pilers, and losing a bunch of hydraulic fliud inside the handlebar, managed to pull thru the hydraulic cable thru.

Thoughts:
The insides of the handlebar feel very rough and the exit hole at the shifters is too tight for the hydraulic cable to go thru. Wanted to dremel a bigger hole but it is currently not with me.

The saddle height is approx 71.5cm uncut and will probably need to cut another 5cm off the seatpost .

Items left:
Bottom bracket , Cages, wheels, crankset .
Till vitamin M reloads, thats all the updates!

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

The reminder parts finally came after taking advantage of the aliexpress sale.

Wheels: Hygge Shun 50mm, 1340g (claimed weight 1335g)

Thoughts: Amazing value with carbon spokes. The hubs are pretty loud as well. Hubs seems to be a dt-swiss version.

Crankset: Incolor Skypivot weight 530 g
Specs: 170mm 52/36
Thoughts: Confusing instructions, but amazing weight! Will test its stiffness when its back from the bike shop

BB : Chinese ceramic bearing weight 79 g

Saddle: Mixed 5D weight 119g

Part list and cost (in SGD)

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

The bike build is finally completed and updated on the first picture.
Picture of the bike

Parts list

Prices listed are in Singapore Dollars which is amounts to 3,105 USD or 2,920 Eur

Thoughts while building on the bike.

Tools wise:
Build was build approximately to the 80% without a toolstand.
The only part that was send to the bike shop was
1. Cutting the fork and seatpost
2. A replacement and bleed of the front brake and rear caliper as I was getting problems getting it to work on the 11 speed calipers.

Frameset:
Frameset overall has good paintwork on the outside,
but on the insides, the carbon was not sanded down properly.
Frame also did not come with the rubber grommets and as well as the holder for the di2 seatpost , which resulted in the bubble wrapping of the battery and as well as purchasing the rubber grommets (the diameter of the deraileur holes are 6mm if anyone is wondering)

Groupset:
Was riding campagnolo centaur/ record from 2016 till early 2023 when i switched back to shimano mechnical , and now onto di2.
The groupset was relatively easy to setup using better shifting guide , but the internal routing kit which i bought from aliexpress does not cater to to the newer shimano cables, had to jury rig using duct tape to finish the build.

Wheelset:
Sub 800 USD with carbon spokes and 1,350 USD and UCI approved, this wheelset is a steal.
Hubs seems to be a modified dt swiss version and is relatively too loud for my liking.

liam7020

by liam7020

Lovely, very good work. Very impressive indeed!!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com