Ryan's Disc Bike #4 (Litespeed T1sl)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

RyanH wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:58 pm
I think I finally figured out the issue. I swapped an Ultegra cassette on and the creaking went away. I swapped 3 different XG cassettes without any difference. When I placed the first cog group onto the splines, I noticed that they can rock front to back so something about the free hub isn't fully flush. With the design of the XG cassette, it must be putting uneven pressure on the center causing the creaking.
Hi Ryan.

I had the exact same issue. Check out this video below to hear my creaking;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVpYGUJ ... P614AaABAg

I thought the DA9200 30-11 cassette went on a bit odd. You're right, it does rock a bit when you put the first 4 gear piece on. I wasn't super happy about how it tightened up. There is a lot of play between the cassette and the free hub splines.

When I got back, I took off the cassette and put it on my older pair of 339T, and it seemed to go on just the same. Put in back on the new rear and now no more noise. I think the first 4 gear block has to sit just right, otherwise you will get noise.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Without reading the whole thread, what is the widest tire you can fit on it? I assume my T3 can handle the same width?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

@juanmoretime, no, this latest generation has significantly more tire clearance than the previous gens. I wouldn't be surprised if I could squeeze in a 35mm WAM tire. The rim brake T1sl I have has more clearance as well than my previous ones. My T3 only has about 2mm to spare with 28mm tubs while the T1sl 2023 has 4mm.

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been chasing down some annoying creaks and I think I finally got it dialed in this weekend. My theory is that I didn't install the SiSL2 with enough preload so it toasted the bearings prematurely (after 800 miles) so new ones went in.

My XG cassette was making noise as well with the Extralite hub despite installing it exactly in the necessary orientation. Ironically, this PrestaCycles 11-32 with minimal spline engagement ended up being the trick:

Got a spring classics ride in over the weekend as it was damp and cold in LA. The Magura pads I swapped in have to be the most sensitive to water I've ever come across. I have a pair of SwissStop RS coming this week. With that being said, the Magura pads must be slightly different than the Campy pads as they feel better (more rubber like brake feel).

All in all, really love this bike. The Shigura setup is pinnacle of disc brake feel and performance in my opinion.

RyanH

by RyanH

Looks like I forgot to post a photo after I installed the custom Darimo -9 stem:

Current weight with 11-32 cassette (cause I'm weak) is 6.3kg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Ooo beautiful as always mate 🥰
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

stanvr

by stanvr

RyanH wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:02 am
Looks like I forgot to post a photo after I installed the custom Darimo -9 stem:
I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the Darimo AL stem? Do you notice differences in the ride feel/stiffness compared to the Kalloy? If i recall correct you used to run the Zipp sprint stems which seem a lot stiffer, or does this not make a difference?

I've been on the fence for an ix2al because of the looks, but worried it might be stiff enough for my intended use (and weight)

kode54

by kode54

Perfect angle on the stem! I’m sure that took months to get made.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

da123

by da123

cyclespeed wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:25 am
RyanH wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:58 pm
I think I finally figured out the issue. I swapped an Ultegra cassette on and the creaking went away. I swapped 3 different XG cassettes without any difference. When I placed the first cog group onto the splines, I noticed that they can rock front to back so something about the free hub isn't fully flush. With the design of the XG cassette, it must be putting uneven pressure on the center causing the creaking.
Hi Ryan.

I had the exact same issue. Check out this video below to hear my creaking;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVpYGUJ ... P614AaABAg

I thought the DA9200 30-11 cassette went on a bit odd. You're right, it does rock a bit when you put the first 4 gear piece on. I wasn't super happy about how it tightened up. There is a lot of play between the cassette and the free hub splines.

When I got back, I took off the cassette and put it on my older pair of 339T, and it seemed to go on just the same. Put in back on the new rear and now no more noise. I think the first 4 gear block has to sit just right, otherwise you will get noise.
Interesting to see these similar experiences. I had creaking issues with my 338C wheels and both a 9200 and SRAM Red cassette. There is a lot of play with the design of the splines. I could minimise (but not totally eliminate) the noise by ensuring all the cassette rings were pushed up against the splines when tightening the lock ring. In the end, I had the rear wheel re-built with a Carbon-ti hub, and the creaking has disappeared.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

RyanH wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm
The Magura pads I swapped in have to be the most sensitive to water I've ever come across. I have a pair of SwissStop RS coming this week. With that being said, the Magura pads must be slightly different than the Campy pads as they feel better (more rubber like brake feel).

The Shigura setup is pinnacle of disc brake feel and performance in my opinion.
Can you please provide feedback on your opinion of the SwissStop RS when you feel you have enough time on them? I didn't get on with them on my Shigura setup but I was dealing with spoke resonance on the carbon spokes from the deep wheelset I was running at the time (whinspace hyper 65) so I don't know how much of the issues were pad related and that bike has been parted out.

I've run Shigura before on 11s road, agree with your general opinion on items I have also tested, and am now trying out 2nd gen Campy calipers + 12s Shimano. It might be contentious with the Campy people but I consider 2nd gen Campy to be third gen Magura so I'm curious to see how things changed vs Shigura.

I'll make a road thread when my opinion settles as well but am trying to collect as much info as I can before consolidating the info.

Also with Campy wireless they released new pads DB-410 which I'll also be testing along with Magura, SwissStop RS, and DB-310. The main change is to go to an Aluninium backing which wont work without the pad spacing spring on Magura MT8/4 but ancidotaly there are other changes to pad material as well.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'll get around to posting more on pads when I get a chance but I learned that if you mix compounds and don't swap rotors they become noisy.

I got these in today which represents a 80g savings over the SiSL2 SRM:

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

RIP Ryan 😂😂
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

AM7Jeremy

by AM7Jeremy

RyanH wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:06 am
I'll get around to posting more on pads when I get a chance but I learned that if you mix compounds and don't swap rotors they become noisy.

I got these in today which represents a 80g savings over the SiSL2 SRM:

Elilee XXE Carbon Crankset? What spindle/PM/rings will you be using?

MichaelK

by MichaelK

If it's not Cannondale Mark Vs I'm sending the cops around for a welfare check.

RyanH

by RyanH

Lol, fair.

I got the Xcadey 5 bolt (Elilee has an SRM PM9 4 bolt version but 4 bolt with Carbon Ti rings offsets a good chunk of the weight loss). Rings will be MKV for obvious reasons. I'll test the Xcadey on my local power meter test hill climb and then check it against my certified weight and report back on how it works. As many of you know, I'm a power geek so I'll put it through the ringer to see how it fares over the next few months. I'm pretty good at spotting once a PM is off by more than 3-5% or reporting inconsistently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com