Stinner Gibraltar-Disc 1x weirdo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cassard

by cassard

This perhaps won't be very weightwheenie for now, but my goal is to keep the bike fully built at maximum 7.7kt (17 lbs). Coming from a very loved Guru Praemio-R (that was unfortunately stolen), I decided to build a new bike. I couldn't go into the titanium world anymore with my budget, even if the insurances helped a lot, I'm still a student.

As a student job I work in a bike store as a professionnal bike fitter/custom builds mechanic. We have the opportunity to try a lot of bikes each season and this is why I couldn't go back to carbon. While beeing very performant, they feel soul-less and replaceable (in my opinion). That's why I came to the idea of a steel bike. With the new steel builder used we can get very nice frames, not to heavy, stiff, nice looking, custom geo.

after a lot of research, it came down to 2 choices. English cycles and Stinner Frameworks. Why ? couldn't really say, the overall feeling, the look of the bike, the material used (and the price a bit I admit). In one way it's a good thing that Rob's queue for a build was not until juin 2019, because I couldn't make a choice. Also, the guys at Blacksmith cycles helped me a lot ! a BIG shout-out to Mike and his team. He dealed with my very kindly, even if I became the kind of customer I hate (super picky and a **** load of back and forth with my decisions).

My idea was to get a bike in between a performance geometry road bike and a gravel bike. I do mainly road and more and more gravel. But since I still want the bike to be super responsive, I wanted to keep the geometry as tight as possible with a clearance of maximum 30mm to 32mm inflated.

In all, you go also say that the GCN steel custom bike gave me the idea : this is exactly what I was looking for !

I still don't have all the pieces, but I received some today and started to build it. I don't have all the weight of each parts and will try to weight them as soon as I can.

Stinner Gibraltar-D (with some paint and geometry tweaks) - around 1550g
Enve fork (instead of colombus for the tire clearance)
Chris King i7 Headset
Chris King T47 BB
Sram eTAP HRD 1x11 build
Sram Force 1x Crankset 50t
Ultegra 11-34 R8000 cassette
Rotor Centerline X 160mm and 140mm
Thomson road carbon handlebar 42cm
Thomson 110 X2 stem
Thomson Masterpiece 27.2mm 16mm setback
Mavic Allroad Pro disc UST
Schwalbe Pro-One 700x28 Tubeless easy
S-works Power Arc 155mm saddle
handlebar tape, pedals and bottle cages, I'm not sure for now.

I know the pictures aren't great for now, I'll try to get better one soon also.

em3

by em3

cassard wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:15 am
Really nice looking ride...Stinner keeps knocking it out of the park. Impressive wieght too for a disk steel frame....is that actual weight or estimated? Also, do you know which tube set Stinner used?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cassard

by cassard

em3 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 pm
cassard wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:15 am
Really nice looking ride...Stinner keeps knocking it out of the park. Impressive wieght too for a disk steel frame....is that actual weight or estimated? Also, do you know which tube set Stinner used?
It's the actual weight, I don't have the exact number in my head but it was in between 1550 and 1600 without BB and Headset. I was so much in a hurry to start the build when I received the frame that I weighted it and then started installing everything. For the Steel they use if I remember it's True Temper S3 from what they told me.

Estimated, they told me that a non-disc version 54 size could come at 1450 at the best.

I will definitely weight the full bike when it's completed (not until the 20th of April, since the right lever is back order until this date...)

martinkartin

by martinkartin

This looks great! Looking forward to seeing the complete build. Were you able to achieve the 30-32mm clearance with the Gibraltar-D or did the custom geometry help?
Factor O2 Disc

cassard

by cassard

So I received some more parts ! The Handle bar looks oddly big on the picture but it's a 42mm so, I think it's a perspective issue.

@markinkartin : After I talked to Aaron about what I wanted, he said that since I had to change for an Enve fork (for the clearance) and it would've cost me an extra charge, he would tweak the standard geometry to fit the 32mm. So from the final drawing he gave 5mm to the chainstay length so the 32mm would fit.

I think that even with the standard geo a 32 would fit but it would be very very very tight. As for the rest, I took internal routing for the rear brake and a T47 BB for a bit more stiffness in the power transfer.

Here is a small update. As for now, the bike is exactly 4.10kg (9 lbs). I calculated with the rest coming and I should be able to keep it in between 7.25kg and 7.7kg (16lbs to 17lbs)

as for the wheels, They are not exactly the one I ordered. bit it gives an idea !

cassard

by cassard

here is an update with everything on except the bottle cages and the right lever !

It's at 7.8kg at it sits. I hoped it to be a little bit less, but I'll do with it. Maybe I'll try to drop the weight next year.

bencolem

by bencolem

Looks lovely, great paint.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

One man's weirdo is another man's dream bike. That thing looks awesome.

Hardstyle

by Hardstyle

1x systems, this is the trend of 2018

cassard

by cassard

After trying 1x last year, I really fell in love with it. Both in terms of use and in terms of look. It was a really puzzle figuring what ratios and cassettes I needed, but when the new 11-34 ultegra cassette came out, it resolved all my problems.

As for bottle cage and bar tape, Any guys have suggestions ?

the only thing I don't want as bar tape is either lizard skin or supacaz or cork.

chunky666

by chunky666

cassard wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 pm
After trying 1x last year, I really fell in love with it. Both in terms of use and in terms of look. It was a really puzzle figuring what ratios and cassettes I needed, but when the new 11-34 ultegra cassette came out, it resolved all my problems.

As for bottle cage and bar tape, Any guys have suggestions ?

the only thing I don't want as bar tape is either lizard skin or supacaz or cork.
I thought the eTap would only take up to a 32?

cassard

by cassard

yes officially, but push the B screw a bit more and it will take the 34. Worst case scenario, I'll order a wolf-tooth extender

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Did this ever get finished? Love it!

pancakes

by pancakes

I'm also very curious about this bike. I'm building something in the same ballbark, how's that 1x eTap treating you? Any chain drops on bumpy roads/gravel? Shifting issues?
Last edited by pancakes on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jowwy

by Jowwy

With a wolftooth roadlink you can go upto 42t cassette. As yet on mine I have suffered no chain drops or chain slap.