Crumpton: Round #2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stax

by stax

Maybe you could try a couple of layers of duct tape?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Hah. We need photos.
Actually, you could jb weld the crack (put tape or plasic wrap on inside first) and see if that quiets it. You were going to fix it anyway if the geo worked. The frame is worth 750 with the click. I'm not trying to bust on you, it just that this was what, the cost of half a Jetta when new?
I'm amazed at used bike values. A nice SL in a similar size with newish etap, exalilth Kry's and a $300 saddle just sold on ebay for a little over 3k. You could part the bike and keep the frame for under 500 bucks.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

fa63

by fa63

FiberFix that bad boy :D

https://youtu.be/haPvuhznuyI

glepore

by glepore

I was posting while drinking (Lost Abbey 10 Commandments, yum) but I was serious about jb weld or epoxy in the crack. I wouldn't consider it a permanent repair, but it could help determine the source of the noise, and won't make a permanent repair, if needed, any more difficult.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

nicrump

by nicrump

glepore wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 pm
I was posting while drinking (Lost Abbey 10 Commandments, yum) but I was serious about jb weld or epoxy in the crack. I wouldn't consider it a permanent repair, but it could help determine the source of the noise, and won't make a permanent repair, if needed, any more difficult.
Please do not do that or the duck tape. both will impede a repair by me.

Duck tape when removed can seriously cause un-needed delams from the crack when removed

JB wont do andything to remedy the crack but just make more work for me if he chooses to send in for repair.

RyanH

by RyanH

Thanks Nick, I can only hope they were kidding. The frame will most likely be coming your way as a frame as beautiful as this deserves to be repaired and done correctly, I just want to make sure I can track down the source of the noise before I send it, in case it's being cause by another area that may need to be addressed.

RyanH

by RyanH

Fingers crossed, I think I resolved the creak. I'll know after tomorrow once I get a full ride in but riding around my street I couldn't get it to happen. I swapped the THM crank and BB for my SRAM Red crank and delrin bb. The THM NDS side was a bitch to unscrew but that DS tapped out pretty easily so it's possible I didn't get good adhesion of loctitie 609 on that side.

stax

by stax

RyanH wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 pm
Thanks Nick, I can only hope they were kidding. The frame will most likely be coming your way as a frame as beautiful as this deserves to be repaired and done correctly, I just want to make sure I can track down the source of the noise before I send it, in case it's being cause by another area that may need to be addressed.
Well, nope, I wasn’t kidding- just trying to help you find that annoying noise and elimanate possibilities. I didn’t think about delamination of the carbon, but did immediately think that something as simple as cling film could be a barrier between the carbon and tape when nicrump chimed in with no helpful solution. This may or may not have worked but the dismissive replies were unnecessary. But hey, this is the internet...

nicrump

by nicrump

i somehow just recalled why i left these forums years ago...

glepore

by glepore

Yeah, I have to say that I was obviously wrong, and Nick was kind enough to step in with real knowledge. I just assumed, wrongly, that a temp repair would be easily removed with a dremel and a cutting bit. My bad. Nick, thanks for stepping in.

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice that we have a manufacturer a) helping with an "old" product b) taking time to write here. You're on my good guys list Nic!

RyanH

by RyanH

Since I'm about to ship this off to Nick (and I'm supposed to be working on a large project, so procrastinating made sense), I figured I'd take some detailed shots of the frame that hopefully captures Nick's craftsmanship:

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Getting also paint on it or just repairing? Seatstays looks pretty narrow, can you use 25mm tires on it?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Dont paint it.... unless you can get camo with blue like the Z0 you want :)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

themidge

by themidge

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 pm
camo with blue like the Z0
Please don't get that! It's hideous :scared:

by Weenie