2018 Trek Madone RSL build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Can you explain how you did the Jagwire elite segmented cable in the toptube.
Is it actually long enough to run and do you have enough alloy links to run it completely through the toptube?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

bruno2000 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:25 am
Can you explain how you did the Jagwire elite segmented cable in the toptube.
Is it actually long enough to run and do you have enough alloy links to run it completely through the toptube?
The easiest way is to first run the inner cable. Since I was building up a frame, the frame came with cable guides which made things easier. I ran the inner cable from the shifter and through the handlebar and then through the cable guide until the exit over the rear brake. At that point you want to measure the liner and links. I had plenty of liner and links from previous jobs and ran new liner and reused the links. I ran them all the way to the shifters. The kit comes with standar outers and directions suggest to start from the shifters and then transition to the links under the bar tape. If I'm using the link system I want it from the shifter to the brake. Once you measure things out then you can slide the foam liner over it to prevent rattling. It's a tight fit bit it worked fine. It might take some wiggling to fit it through the opening over the rear brake but it did work. The nice thing about the link system is that you can add and subtract links to get the length perfect.

All in all it does take longer than standard cables but the brake feel is second to none in my book and if you use polished cables the system should last for years.

The brakes feel and work great but are a PITA when switching wheels. It's an aero bike and I'd suggest to leave some aero wheels on it. The adjustment is very sensetive and takes a bit to get just right. I sold the previously pictured carbon Rail52 wheels and for now threw on the Mavic wheels. Hope to post a photo tomorrow. Planning to order the Aeolous 5 TLR wheels sometime in March.

plpete

by plpete

Put on the shallow wheels for now. It was pretty windy today as you can see by the downed tree with 30mph gusts so this set up worked well. Ti spindles should be in today so hope to swap them out and get an overall weight with the Mavic wheels.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

plpete wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 pm
The build is completed. Still a few small things on the way like Ti spindles, Bontreger RXL cages and Aelous TLR 5 wheels.

First ride in and as expected it was a blast. The legs were a bit heavy but the bike encourages you to push resulting in putting out a best NP over the short distance. Comfort with the ISO Speed is fantastic. Also, very happy with the handlebar choice. with 120mm stem the reach is perfect and the drops shape is perfect for me. Here is a quick post ride shot:

Looks great!

There's something about gumwall tires on a build like this that just does it for me.

What out front garmin mount are you using? Looks super clean.

plpete

by plpete

Kazyole wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 pm
What out front garmin mount are you using? Looks super clean.
Thanks! I really dig the look as well plus the ride quality on these is superb.

The garmin mount is something generic from ebay but looks and works great. Allows you to attach other accessories on the bottom too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycle-S ... 2749.l2649

The Ti spindles are in and are saving me 60 grams for the set. Below are complete pedal weights:

Cro-Moly

Ti

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Oooh, I like that mount. I’d been looking at a few others like it but you had to directly match the stem’s bolt width. Do you know what it weighs?

Also you could squeak out a few more grams with titanium bow ties for your speedplays if you wanted to. I know there have been some fit issues in the past but I got a set from torontocycles about a week ago and they snapped on no problem. 19g total for the set of four. Brought my total for both pedals to 155g for the pair. Only 7 additional grams saved over what you have now, but if you get close to a threshold you’re trying to hit, they’re at least pretty easy to get.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Looking great with the shallow Mavic wheels too.
Thanks for the answer on the brakecables.

plpete

by plpete

The weight on the mount isn't the best - I think it was like 56 grams with the loger bolts but I do like the design, how sturdy it is and ability to attach lights or a GoPro to the bottom. If I'm being pick I'd prefer to have the angle of the garmin sligtly lower and level. Currently it's in line with the stem and slightly angled up.

bruno2000 - thanks! The link cables take more time to set up but well worth it!

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. I am waiting for Jarlinson's and am interested in your bar choice, too. It seems like lots of guys don't like the stock bars. Did you try the stock integrated and not like it, too? What didn't you like?

plpete

by plpete

Geoff wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm
Ok, that's nice. I am waiting for Jarlinson's and am interested in your bar choice, too. It seems like lots of guys don't like the stock bars. Did you try the stock integrated and not like it, too? What didn't you like?
Thanks! Ideally I would like to have used the stock bar as it integrates very nicely but the shape was not for me. There are actually a few guys on the Trek team that run a standard stem/bar set up. I did test ride a bike with the integrated bar and although I liked the top and hoods section, the drops were not for me. They do not flare at all and the long reach would cause my wrists to hit the top bend when sprinting unless I held on to the very end. At that point i couldn't reach brakes or shift buttons.

I couldn't be happier with the Easton EC70 Aero bar. Has the right amount of flare in the drops for me and feels very comfortable. I also really like the spot where cables exit near the stem. Still allows for a very clean build.

ajmoreno

by ajmoreno

Really nice setup!

Geoff

by Geoff

@pipete, yes, absolutely. The bike I was going to get from Alberto was build that way. I wanted to try-out the integrated bar, so I am going to ride Pantano Gómez's TDF bike this season, instead. I am starting to wonder if that is a good idea. There are sure a lot of guys not riding those bars. I just got the bike yesterday, too! We are getting another 20-30cm of snow today, so I suspect it will be awhile before I know whether those bars are going to work.

On another note, what position did you place the front bottle cage? Is that the 'high' setting, or the 'low' setting?

plpete

by plpete

At the end of the day the stem/bar combo is a personal preference and fit is most important, at least IMHO. Put in 200 miles and 17,759ft of climbing on the bike the other weekend at the team training camp. The bar was perfect and don't have any regrets but if you can ride it first that would be best. The bike feels great climbing and although a bit heavier than my BMC SLR01 it was more rigid and felt great going up hill. Downhill is even better! Hit just a hair under 50mph.

Ordered a set of Aelous 5 TLR wheels yesterday. Have some Veloflex Masters 25c that I'll put on. Should be here by weekend but with DC getting up to 6in of snow this week who knows if I'll ride them this weekend.

The bottle cage is mounted in the only available spot. Wish it was a bit lower but no big deal. It's only tight when using a large 21oz bottle.

Geoff

by Geoff

Yes, I am finding that the issue with those bars is the placement of the levers. If you like the 'tops' of the levers to be tilted slightly 'up', those bars are not perfect. Beautifully made, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

A bit of an update. Have been riding the bike and its been a blast but it was begging for some proper wheels. Cue Aelous 5 TLR

The weights were not too far off. The advertised weight was Front = 650g Rear = 790g for a total of 1440g. Actual weight was 1473g

Other goodies

Veloflex Master 25c

Overall the wheels were quote good. Hubs are expected quality with DT Swiss guts, felt no flex or rubbing when out of saddle and breaking with Black Prince pads was good although I did not have a chance to do any long descends / breaking. Here is what I ended up with:

As luck woud have it, Trek just dropped some new XXX wheels soon after the purchase. The great folks at my local Trek shop are looking into my options. More to come soon ;)