Cervelo R3 Disc 2018

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

siim

by siim

Long time reader, (almost) first time poster here.

I've started to build myself new bike and decided to go for the new Cervelo R3 Disc. Right now I only have cranks in my hand but frameset is ordered and expected to arrive in the beginning of February. I will surely post pictures and weights as I build the bike. However, be warned: it will be a slow build as I don't have big pile of money at home :) Anyway, I need to be ready by the end of June because then I will go riding Maratona dles Dolomites with my wife (she rides previous generation R3 by the way).

Here's the current plan:

Nothing is really locked here, except for the derailleurs-shifters-brakes. Unless Force Etap HRD is available in next couple of months, I'll go for Red Etap HRD. If you have recommendations for anything else, feel free to chime in. I'm aiming for reasonably priced but lightweight build, hopefully below 7kg with pedals, without accessories.

Dimensions:
Frame: 56cm
Rider height: 180cm
Rider weight: 73kg, aiming for 68 when it's time to go to Dolomites :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

r2bike has your Newman hubs for 328 plus shipping.
Curve Grovel ti.

gravity

by gravity

Photo is not showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siim

by siim

Strange. Apparently jemima was able to see the image as he commented on data available only on the image. Might be some Tapatalk issue. Anyway, direct link to the image: https://flic.kr/p/22hvhNN

Miller

by Miller

Corsa Speed TLR could be fragile for general road riding. It's pitched as a low-mileage race tyre.

siim

by siim

I have some Pro One's and S-Works tubeless tires laying around as well. Corsas seemed like an interesting tires to try. During my 10+ years of riding I've punctured three times on road and once on offroad and I'm mostly using tires with low puncture protection.

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah punctures might not be too big a deal especially if set up tubeless... but just like a Conti Supersonic there's simply bugger all rubber on them. If you're riding most days you'd wear out the rear in a couple of weeks.

Pop 'em on for a hillclimb or a TT, but they're really not supposed to be an everyday tyre.

siim

by siim

Frame delivery has been delayed but in the meantime I've been thinking about BB. I have a crankset for the bike. It's a Rotor 3D+ I got for a good price. Slightly used but in very good condition.

So, for the BB I want to have something that would be more or less free of the troubles (creaking, longetivity). Weight has lower priority here. I've narrowed it down to these two options:
Threaded solution of Wheels MFG sure has it appeal but C-Bear is considered as one of the smoothest BB's (Friction Facts). Pricewise WMFG is cheaper but needs proprietary tool.

Which one would you take? Why? How much the C-Bear weighs?

commendatore

by commendatore

Not one of your initial choices, but I'm planning on going to Kogel on my R3 the moment I hear any noise from the factory BB.

siim

by siim

I've heard good things about Kogel but they're way overpriced for essentially the same thing as C-Bear's offering.

crazybaboon

by crazybaboon

What frame colour did you order?
I’ve ordered a r3 disc in the flouro colour, did it looks a lot greener in person than on line.
I’m not sure if I like it and might change my order to a r5 disc in the black and flouro colour way

siim

by siim

Mine is going to be Navy. I was on the fence about colour but didn't dare to take the risk with fluoro and went with the more understated option.

PattiTalks

by PattiTalks

Looking forward to this.
Also I am keen to see how actual weight will differ from the plan; how much unforseen weight (and percentage of total) will come in for the final bike.

siim

by siim

C-Bear bottom bracket has arrived! Weight without the included spacers is 112.4 grams.

Unfortunately, frame delivery has been delayed - no update from the shop yet.

norcimmus

by norcimmus

Has Cervelo addresses the weird chainline issue? I have a 2016 R3D with and am running an Ultegra 6800 crankset with some spacers for a happy medium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com