BkrMn VB-R-077

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrDeia

by MrDeia

My first build 8)

My Velobuild frame arrived 2 weeks ago (fast delivery in about 7 days from China -> NL).
Build it up with Ultegra and can't say anything else that i'm really happy with the result and riding! Light, stiff though comfortable and silent! Just how i wanted it to be.
As i'm living in the ultra flat low lands Holland, this is next to my BMC the bike which i will use for less nice weather riding :wink:, late evening sessions (adding lights), vacation climbing the mountains in other countries ... or just whenever i want to ride it :D

Not being a diehard WW :wink: , i'm very curious on how to shave off a bit of weight without spending a lot of money. Any hints are welcome :thumbup:
What comes in my mind:
- replacing the cheap innertubes to Schwalbe SV20

Weight: (shown as is with all accessories and pedals): 7.35kg

Frame: Velobuild VB-R-077 49cm (i'm 168cm)
Fork/Headset: VB-R-077 / VB Headset (noname) top:1-1/8 down: 1-1/2
Crankset/Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra CS-6800 170mm / Shimano BSA
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra PD-6800
Drivetrain/Cog/Chainring/Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6800 / 12-25T / 50/34T / Ultegra CN-6800
Derailleurs/Shifters: Shimano Ultegra FD-6800 RD-6800 / ST-6800
Handlebars/Stem: Velobuild HB003 400mm / BMC 90mm -6°
Saddle/Seatpost: Astute Skylite Carbon rails / Velobuild UD Carbon 27.2mm
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra BR-6800
Front Wheel/Hub/Tire: DT Swiss RC 46 / DT Swiss / Continental GP4000SII 25mm with cheap innnertube
Rear Wheel/Hub/Tire: DT Swiss RC 46 / DT Swiss / Continental GP4000SII 25mm with cheap innnertube

Accessories:
- Finish UD glossy carbon with neon colorcode YS793 - BBB BHT-14 Flex Ribbon Gel black handlebartape - Hidemybell Garmin frontmount - Elite Cannibal bottlecages [shortly after picture, updated to VB carbon cages] - Garmin speedsensor rear wheelhub, Garmin cadance sensor left crankarm

More pictures :D : (also some additional available @ : https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/bkrmn-vb-r-077-33872 )

Last edited by MrDeia on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Is it possible to post some close up pics please.!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MrDeia

by MrDeia

Sure
Last edited by MrDeia on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrDeia

by MrDeia

By request, more pictures added :thumbup:

sib

by sib

Wow, I like that very much!

How much did the frame and fork weigh?
Are you pleased with the quality of the paint finish?

kidrob

by kidrob

Very very nice!

Waiting for a Hengfu frame I am curious if you had any difficulties building it and how did you resolve these?

KCookie

by KCookie

Looks awesome. Well done. !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MrDeia

by MrDeia

Frame incl. bottlecagebolts, frontderailleurmount and cable liners: 870gr
Fork: 350gr
Seatpost incl. saddlemount: 155gr

Paint finish is very nice so yes i'm pleased with the quality.

I had no difficulties building up at all (with help from youtube and google on how to :D ). Liners were in, so convenient to install cables.

evan326

by evan326

Very nice

motorapido

by motorapido

Nice build, and paintjob,
if you want to drop a bit of weight it will mostly be minimal gains,
Look at replacing the stem with a Kalloy UNO, and then fit Ti bolts, to the stem, a lighter seatpost clamp, Ti bolts for the seatpost. will shed a few more grammes
Lighter QR skewers, the DT swiss ones you have are good but there are many lighter options, planet X, Lifeline Ti, One23, Tune etc
FSA alloy headset bearings, and a lighter headset expander and topcap assembly such as the Cannondale one.
KMC lightweight chain and more expensive upgrades are a SRAM Red or Edco cassette,

There are Alloy and Ti upgrade bolts for the mechs if you want to go that far, but you would probably be better upgrading to Dura Ace over time

MrDeia

by MrDeia

Thx motorapido :) :thumbup:

I guess it will all be marginal ... but, maybe with this, i can dive under that 7kg line :)

Stem: BMC stem is 150gr. , what will the Kalloy Uno in 90cm about to bring me? Price seems to be not that high (if i have the correct one): http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/STKAUNOR/kalloy-uno-alloy-stem

The TI bolts, seatpostclamp, skewers, headset bearings/expander/topcap/chain , all good ideas what won't cost my head :) .

1 shop would be handy. All can be found @Planet X? Or do you maybe know a dutch webshop 8)

kidrob

by kidrob

i think its this one: https://fairwheelbikes.com/fair-wheel-k ... alth-stem/

93 grams w/ titanium bolts

Rudi

by Rudi

Free stuff as always - is your seatpost cut down inside the frame? At that weight I'd guess so, but worth asking.

Looks to me like you have a "lot" of cable at the front end - could they be shortened?

Marginal - I bet that topcap could be lighter if it is the generic one that I assume has come with the frame. Mt Zoom and others have light ones that don't cost the earth.

Seatpost clamp, again marginal but cheap options are out there.

Edit: forgot to say, like the paintjob as well :-) Is it more yellow or lime in person?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

MrDeia

by MrDeia

Thx :)

- have not cut the seatpost (yet) , 10cm should be possible ... what will save a few grams (but guess not more than 10 or so :| )
- cable at front end is exactly enough to be able to steer from left to right all the way until i touch the frame with the handlebar without pulling the outer cable from the framestop. For sure shorter would be possible but i don't think that it's a nice/smart thing to do (or is that normal for true WW?)
- seatpostclamp and topcap are nice and easy upgrades :D

I had noticed the color in the picture is not really how it's looks in real live 8) . The yellow is really bright fluo yellow (Velobuild provided me the used colorcode: YS793).

It is difficult to get the exact color captured in pictures as it depents on the light (and probable also camera/lense ... allthough, you should expect a good capture from the Nikon with Tamron lense 8) ).

The picture below shows the color a bit better i think:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrDeia

by MrDeia

kidrob wrote:i think its this one: https://fairwheelbikes.com/fair-wheel-k ... alth-stem/

93 grams w/ titanium bolts

Thx! 57gr lighter (if specs are correct) and oof, $60,- for the titanic version