Trek Madone 5.5 SL Project - Lance on Campagnolo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Rear dropout has been sorted by excellent work by my lbs. Framesaver bolt sorted. I've got another 10 hours of sanding then will get it clearcoated. Gloss or matte?

Current frame weight is 1123 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

Any ideas on the decals? I'd say a gloss black clear coat with gold decals would look great
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Hi Timo

I've narrowed the decals down to matte black, grey or gold. I've ruled out pink as I can't find a pastel pink. Definitely gloss clear coat.

The frame is currently 1120 grams with a bit more sanding to go.

Miller

by Miller

Timo wrote: I think your best option is sourcing a (used) left hand Ergopower lever. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the shifting mechanism and that leaves you with a lever that is similar to mine (all that would be missing is a tiny plastic insert that covers the hole where the mechanism was but that has no function other than aesthetics)

..or the OP could just use the LH ergo as it was designed and drop the idea of a DT shifter for the front mech? Which would mean a move away from the original concept but it already sounds like a right faff getting the DT shifter to work. Btw, I don't think Shimano DT shifters pull enough cable for Campag. An alternative would be to source a pair of Campag 10sp bar-end (TT) shifters since they are very thinly disguised DT shifters. The LH bar-end has no indexing.

Timo

by Timo

Or whatever Campa downtube shifter you can get your hands on. They're all over ebay. Here's one on my Peugeot...

And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

The downtube lever is part of the concept for the build. Might try a resin modolo lever, would that work?

Miller

by Miller

Follow @Timo's advice and look on ebay for a Campag lever.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Yup will order one and sell the dura ace levers.

Timo

by Timo

The positive side of a Campa lever is also that if you do find a BTP carbon lever you'll need the hardware (back plate and internals) from the Campa one to make it work anyway...

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks timo - I've ordered a campag lever. Still can't decide between gold or Matt black decals.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Got some Matt black decals to try later this week. Sanded 8 grams I paint off the forks. Almost ready for clear coating.about another 6 hrs of 1200 grit to go.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Campagnolo downtube lever has arrived 19 grams all in.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I am tempted to go for ee brakes - would drop 130 grams and I think would look ok. Decided to go full weenie on this now. Stem and bar will be the place to lose more weight. Kalloy uno -17 12cm stem and deda superleggera rs would be nice. Another option would be bontrager xxx integrated, advertised weight is 240 grams seems a bit optimistic. Would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Frame and forks are going to the paint shop to get clear coated today. Decided with Matt black decals on the top tube near the head tube only. Will order a black tune headset. Still undecided on the bars. I think a non integrated set up will look more in keeping with the frame.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Just weighed the Chris King headset it came with, only 84 grams. Will get it polished and save myself some money to put towards something else. The Tune bobo would only save me 9 grams for a £140 spend.

After another 2 hours of sanding with 1200 grit it is all done. Frame ended up weighing 1108 grams and forks bang on 360 grams with star nut in the steerer column.
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com