Men of Steel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Been a while since I've started a thread, let alone an intro. However, thought the latest sled to be added (along with my new team) might be of interest to a few.

The team is called the Men of Steel - with the primary partners Black Sheep Cycling (clothing) and Stinner frameworks. Last year it was just an Aussie squad, however this year there will also be a Californian chapter. I wasn't on the squad last year, but was good mates with the manager and one of the riders. And additionally am very much in support of the 'Man Ride', which was a ride they did last in aid of helping raise awareness of men's mental health. A cause that is close to my heart. So when they asked me to come on board for 2017 I was straight on board.

The team bikes are the Stinner steel Gibraltar, with the custom designed Men of Steel motif on the top tube and rear stays. Rest of the fit out is SRAM (eTap and Zipp) with Chris King BB and headset. Geometry is custom. But with that said not too crazy for me. I based it off my custom Baum Corretto, but with just a little more drop and sped up the front end handling just a touch. Had one 5 hour hills ride on it and it feels exactly how I expect a steel bike to feel. Will need a little while longer to see how it compares to the Pink Panther (pic below, with me in season 1 Men of Steel kit) but first impression are the same smooth ride you expect from steel. And maybe a tad less stiff (which given the comparative tubing sizes would make sense). We'll see though how that plays out.

Build list:

- Stinner Gibraltar, full Columbus tubing and Columbus carbon fork

- SRAM eTap

- Zipp 404 NSW

- Specialized turbo cotton tyres

- King cages

- Prologo Scratch Nack saddle

- Power2Max power meter

I'll get a weight soon. But is lighter than my Baum.

Oh and here is our Men of Steel kit for season 2

The rig

Season 1 Men of Steel & the Pink Panther

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

So much want...
Using Tapatalk

Fixie82

by Fixie82

I'm digging the blue Chris King with the frame colours. Nice contrast. With this and Kwalkers Hyperspace Stinner, the steel envy is strong.

How's the build quality compare to Baum? Would you mind sharing the bikes measurements? I'd be keen to see what your choices are considering this is full custom.

bencolem

by bencolem

I want to be you!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I saw this on Instagram...very nice!

I'd personally love a Stinner...

tbrix

by tbrix

I saw a couple of your team in full kit (maybe you were one of them?) at a cafe in Docklands a couple of weeks ago. I kept stealing glances at their beautiful bikes while I drank my coffee. So lovely. Congratulations, bike and new kit look great.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I wouldn't change anything on it. Perfect.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Awesome bike and cause mate.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Great paint scheme, and a great cause to bring awareness to. Wish I was fast enough to get on board!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Absolutely stunning!! Steel will definitely be the material of choice for my next frame.

minley1

by minley1

Stunning looking bike, & a great cause

exctasy

by exctasy

looking great! :D

KCookie

by KCookie

The bikes and colours are just awesome. Great 8 minutes of video to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ico

by ico

I'm jealous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Fixie82 wrote:Would you mind sharing the bikes measurements? I'd be keen to see what your choices are considering this is full custom.

As mentioned, custom geo is nothing too wild

Build quality compared to the Baum is - on first impressions - very close. We'll see how it goes over the coming months. Had another small spin this evening, very happy with the handling. And of course eTap is rad!

The cause behind the team is something I am proud of - really is great to be on a team that has a social conscience. We all work so not as if any of us have delusions of grandeur. We like racing hard, drinking copious amounts of coffee and giving each other crap. But underlying it is the aim to try to help reduce the stigma around mental illness.

Juanmoretime wrote:Excellent Nick! Crank arm not lined up with the seat tube? Rookie mistake. :smartass:

And in Australia crank arm goes horizontal. Just like how our toilets flush in the reverse direction. Rookie mistake ;)