4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Yep using the THM BB still, although the list isn't quite up to date. The BB is a sacrifice to run the Clavicula, but still turns out the lightest crank/BB combo I could find for PF30. I looked into 386Evo spacers, but it looks heavier adding the spacers plus PF30 bearings. I guess there might be some lighter way to achieve the needed BB width maybe with carbon spacers, but not sure that'd work well - could add flex where you really don't want it. The only thing I can think of with crank/BB is ceramic bearings. But there's still places to save weight for less than the £/g of ceramics.

KCookie

by KCookie

My AITA ceramic BB PF 41-30 for my THM crank was 66g, spoke to C-bear the other day and they quoted 56g, these both include the sleeve. I saved around 30g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

KCookie wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:46 pm
My AITA ceramic BB PF 41-30 for my THM crank was 66g, spoke to C-bear the other day and they quoted 56g, these both include the sleeve. I saved around 30g.
So these ones widen the PF30 BB shell same as the THM one? Link? I'll take a look and might pull the trigger when my THM bearings are dead.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you are on 28-27t cassettes, why are you using a "heavy" mid cage derailleur. You could drop 15-20 gr by going short I believe.

What about powercordz for the cables?

Bontrager xxx integrated bars should be around 220gr.

How about a Berk integrated seat/seatpost or a gelu seat?

Ax ultra 38 wheels are 965gr, pretty cool :D

/a

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I do use a short cage RD. Came in at 145g as standard which I think is normal for Red (before I changed the inner plate, jockeys, bolts).

I think a Bontrager combo with a 12cm stem would be in the 230-240g range. Do they make them in -17°? Would probably edge it marginally lighter with my stem and a TLO bar but even I'm at a point where a £400 Schmolke bar isn't worth 17g. If the Bontrager was available before I got my bar and stem I definitely Would've considered one. Will keep an eye on what Darimo do in future though... The Berk bar/stem combo seems to be the ultimate available at the moment.

I was in contact with Berk about a seatpost combo using my existing saddle. I have a lot of time for them, but IMO there's work to do on the customer experience. They really should build a page for combos with drop downs or free format prompts for all the essential info they need to know. I explained what I wanted by sending numerous emails back and forth (responses took about a week each) and I even sent a diagram. In the end I got an email back asking for info I'd already given and then I never got a response to my reply. I gave up and didn't chase it up in the end, as the process of going custom with them was too time consuming and exasperating. Instead I'm getting a new seatpost (not a combo) from Darimo which hopefully will save about 30g and along with my saddle it'll only be about 10g more than a Berk combo. I'm precious about my saddle - I wouldn't ditch it for a totally different shape Gelu for 20g. Although if there were some way to test a Gelu I'd love to cos 45g is just :shock:

I like those AX 38 tubs a lot, but new tubs for only a 65g saving isn't worth it for me. I could just change my hubs to Extralite for about 70g saving and the cost would be a bit more palatable! The AX 25 ultras would save about 230g, though I'm not sure how stiff they are. Some Obies would be very nice obviously and about the same weight as AX 38s.

I'm honestly not sure if I could put up with Powercordz, my setup is quite fussy already! What would the weight saving be over the current 25g for the whole bike? I'd need to track down a set of BTP AX bolts to use Powercordz too.

A set of Record tubs for summer would save me 100g of rotational weight. Or even more for Tufos - in fact AX 25 Ultras and Tufos would get me sub 4kg - but I hear Tufos are made of wood...

I think there's some weight to save on the brake's adjuster bolt and maybe the cable clamp bolt if I go custom. The RD needs dremelling. I'm getting a lighter seat post. I think that will be all I do this season, but you know what being a WW is like, so I'll probably be dremelling my brake levers in a month's time! :thumbup:
Last edited by 4ibanez on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

4ibanez wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am
KCookie wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:46 pm
So these ones widen the PF30 BB shell same as the THM one? Link? I'll take a look and might pull the trigger when my THM bearings are dead.
I emailed them about this and they said you could probably run their cups with the THM spacer. Not sure if that would work or not. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to THM before I get a crankset on my new build and not running the Lightning

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My bad on the derailleur. Sorry.

Nice bike!

/a

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

@ - dereksmalls hmm not a confidence inspiring response from AITA that'd make me pull the trigger on a $170 bb. Plus you'd have to have the THM sleeve already or have one custom made.

@alcatraz - no sweat. My comprehensive response was just my thought process - I always weigh up cost, effort, time etc when deciding what to do (I guess that's why my current thing is changing a seatpost - not gonna break the bank and super easy to install and get back on the bike). I always welcome comments and suggestions though! Agree there's still quite a few places to lose weight, but more and more diminishing returns after I find a superlight 800g range wheelset.

bencolem

by bencolem

I have to applaud you for a fantastic thread and the way you’ve transformed the bike from where you started to now is incredible; truly an ugly duckling to a swan! But I simply can’t look at them stem. Totally personal opinion but it’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen on a bike! Anyway, ignore me. You’re work and your build is otherwise mega and truly inspirational.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Fun times! On the path to full-blown-no-turning-back-weenieism now. And my nostrils are already black despite a mask :twisted:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

You're in too deep, no turning back now! Put it to good use 🤣

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Where are you possibly still loosing weight from?

This project is immense! Great work!
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

TARE

by TARE

As far seen on ig.. props!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Guess who inspired this tuning?!

It was a fair bit of work, but not too hard considering it's the 1st time I've done anything with a dremel.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 pm
Guess who inspired this tuning?!
Weeracerweenie? I'm sure there were others before but his is the one that sticks in my mind the most

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107812

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com