Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Alumen

by Alumen

Nice bike and nice story... I am following you now on Instagram too...
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks guys, your words and encouragement really means a lot. :beerchug:

Especially in times like these when I'm having some unbelievable shitluck.
The polished fork is disassembled due to a malfunctioning damper cartridge (a problem I also had on the Spark earlier this year) and today I found out that the Tune crankset I put on the Scale creaks in the left pedal insert after just 5 rides. Also I finally got the last few missing parts but one item wasn't according to spec and doesn't fit the bike so now there will be more weeks of delays, and to top it off my new handlebars were way heavier than expected which throws my weight calculations and goals off.

In three weeks it'll be one year since I got the first parts and started these builds. Kinda sick and tired of waiting now. :roll:

On the upside I also got the most beautiful seat I've ever seen (pics to come), and it was only 60 grams, and Saturday is race day! Just need to get in a better mood and hopefully it'll be a good result. :lol:

Will get a couple more pics of the Scale to show you later this weekend, doesn't look as good without the polished fork but still looks pretty badass!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Sorry to hear about the delays you're experiencing. Looking forward to seeing the saddle!!
Good luck for race day!!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:Sorry to hear about the delays you're experiencing. Looking forward to seeing the saddle!!
Good luck for race day!!

Thanks man! It's the biggest marathon race in the Nordics with 13 000 competitors and finish in my home town, so should be fun!

So here's the seat, it's made with some more curve in the rear than the other Berk models and weighs an amazing 60,7g!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Damn!! That IS a good looking seat!!

poynt

by poynt

hope your new saddle survived your race misshaps. You mentioned the F brake and I assume the carbon shift-up axle got damaged anything else apart from your leg obviously. :cry:

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:Damn!! That IS a good looking seat!!

Told you so! No but seriously, thanks haha!

poynt wrote:hope your new saddle survived your race misshaps. You mentioned the F brake and I assume the carbon shift-up axle got damaged anything else apart from your leg obviously. :cry:

Thanks for those words, well needed on a day like this. :lol:
I didn't use the new saddle, and luckily the only things I've seen so far (haven't checked it too carefully yet) is indeed the front brake that the hose got ripped off from and the carbon axle. Can't believe my luck that the axle still held together a bit somehow so I didn't lose the front wheel, that's a scary thought!

For those that don't check my instagram, story is that I did a huge marathon race today (94km, 700 people in race class I think and 13000 total) and held a good 68th place at a checkpoint 40min in but 20min later a rider cut in front of me in a hard right turn. Hit his rear wheel with my front wheel and I hit the ground hard. It's racing and shit happens, in good spirits but still kinda sucks because that race was pretty much my only goal this season.
Got up after laying in the bushes for a couple of minutes, noticed the front brake and well - myself haha - but really didn't want to give up so made it to the finish and I'm happy about that.

But to bring it back on topic, the bike performed great until the crash. It's so responsive, in every way.

And no, I'm not very serious about the race outfit. :lol: :beerchug:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Wow, your luck lately has been pretty damn shitty!! Hope you get the bike and yourself sorted asap.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

So, new combos in the works. MCFK 3K stems with Schmolke TLO handle bars.
Current weight is:
-6/90mm/720mm = 186,5g
-17/100/720mm = 188,5g

Now delivered to Mattias Hellöre at Experimental Prototype to be bonded into one-piece combos to shed a few more grams and probably improve the stiffness a little bit. Very curious about both looks and final weight!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That picture contains some of the most beautiful bike components of all time!! These builds just got even hotter :beerchug:

Maxlawwk

by Maxlawwk

Good to see your update after a long waiting. How would you compare this MCFK stem with Wren lightweight alloy stem? Their weights are similar but MCFK is almost 5 times more expensive (of course it is carbon).

Gullholm wrote:So, new combos in the works. MCFK 3K stems with Schmolke TLO handle bars.
Current weight is:
-6/90mm/720mm = 186,5g
-17/100/720mm = 188,5g

Now delivered to Mattias Hellöre at Experimental Prototype to be bonded into one-piece combos to shed a few more grams and probably improve the stiffness a little bit. Very curious about both looks and final weight!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:That picture contains some of the most beautiful bike components of all time!! These builds just got even hotter :beerchug:

Yeah those are some stunning parts for sure, looked amazing when I put them on the bikes to try the angles. :beerchug:
Will be a perfect match for the Spark, with the white/red theme and matching Schmolke seat post (even if that one is in 1K). The original plan was to go matte/sanded for the Scale but not sure now since the Schmolke bars are so shiny even though they're not clear coated, so might actually leave it gloss even if it doesn't match the bike really.
Mattias has already started working bonding them together, super professional guy. Right away he 3D-printed some tooling just to make sure there will be a nice clean line/edge between the bonded area and the rest of the bars. Hopefully I can show you some pictures from the process.
From what I understood the stems will have some material removed at the front, then the bars will be tied on with carbon thread (not sure of the right word here), then there will be layers of Textreme and probably 3k on top.
Goal is about 180g per combo.

Maxlawwk wrote:Good to see your update after a long waiting. How would you compare this MCFK stem with Wren lightweight alloy stem? Their weights are similar but MCFK is almost 5 times more expensive (of course it is carbon).

Thanks man! I actually rode something similar on my old Scale, a cheap Procraft stem. It's hard to talk objectively about stiffness etc, but at least the MCFK had the best stiffness-to-weight ratio of all the stems that Fairwheel Bikes had in their test. And although everything can fail, I actually trust the MCFK more, even though I have no real proof of why haha.
Is it worth 5 times more money? For most, it's probably better to spend that moeny on other parts like nicer rims etc. But if you got a really nice bike already and don't mind too much about the price, I think these are the nicest stems out there. Extralite comes close, but they got no -17 and these are stiffer too.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

HOPP posted a picture of what I assume are your new brake levers. Super cool!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tonytourist wrote:HOPP posted a picture of what I assume are your new brake levers. Super cool!

HAHA I saw that! I wrote on that post: '..... I suspect I know the client that ordered this with you guys!"

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Haha I got asked the same question on a swedish forum too. :lol:
Believe it or not though, that pair is for another happy customer. He did a Piccola levers earlier this year too and we discussed me getting a set, but I really want to keep my custom Piccolas in full silver so probably will only get them if I "need" to get under a certain weight goal for example. Would look good on the Spark of course though, and the savings is about 14g, but we'll see..

Did some experimenting today with using PowerCordz for the Twinloc, haven't got any pics at the moment but hopefully this link works.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdf8gsnD2B ... dangerholm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com