2017 Specialized Allez Sprint LTD II (Now Red Hook Crit)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Picked up some slightly used CLX40s and the guy included some new turbo cottons. For the type of rides I plan on doing with this thing the 40mm depth is perfect. I've also go some dura ace c24s I might throw on for when it's wet.

sun

by sun

Have you weighed the CLX40's? Curious how they weigh vs. claimed weight from Specialized.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

SpecializedColnago wrote:Picked up some slightly used CLX40s and the guy included some new turbo cottons. For the type of rides I plan on doing with this thing the 40mm depth is perfect. I've also go some dura ace c24s I might throw on for when it's wet.

Nice... those cottons are great, so fast. Be careful with everyday use though, they wear out quick and have ZERO flat protection.

Looks like he threw in a tight spaced cassette too. :)

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

sun wrote:Have you weighed the CLX40's? Curious how they weigh vs. claimed weight from Specialized.

Unfortunately I was in such a hurry to get the tires on to see how it would look that I neglected to weigh them. I can definitely say they do feel lighter when comparing them to my c24s and those weighed 1480 bare. The c24s are the tubeless rimmed model so they are heavier than the clincher variant. Next time I strip the tires off and the cassette I will weigh them.

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
SpecializedColnago wrote:Picked up some slightly used CLX40s and the guy included some new turbo cottons. For the type of rides I plan on doing with this thing the 40mm depth is perfect. I've also go some dura ace c24s I might throw on for when it's wet.

Nice... those cottons are great, so fast. Be careful with everyday use though, they wear out quick and have ZERO flat protection.

Looks like he threw in a tight spaced cassette too. :)

I use veloflex masters as my daily tires currently so these might even outlast them in terms of wear. And the roads are not too bad around here. I already had the cassette (11-25), but that would have been really great if he had thrown one in as well haha. I once read someone on here say "Life is too short to ride crap tires" so I definelty abide by that philosophy. Next race wheelset I buy will probably be some clx60s or clx64s in the tubular variety because I've always been interested to see if the hype is real for tubulars.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

SpecializedColnago wrote: I once read someone on here say "Life is too short to ride crap tires" so I definelty abide by that philosophy.

I definitely agree with that. I use the S-Works Turbo (non-cotton) tires as my usual tires... but just feel like with the cottons, I'd spend more time changing flats and less time enjoying rides.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Got a few more parts hung and I tried to get a picture showing the flake in the paint.

Durisic

by Durisic

great bike :thumbup:

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Finally got around to weighing the fork and noticed this cool little detail with the color of the logo on the inner leg of the fork. Most of the steerer will be cut off of the fork since I will be running it slammed or very close to slammed.

Currently I am stuck until I receive the power meter and handlebar stem combo from Berk. Both should be here in 2-3 weeks and then I can finish it up.

choreezo

by choreezo

Really enjoying seeing this frame built up. I'm quite close to pulling the trigger on the anodized purple and so far there aren't many builds online it seems.

Oddly enough, in Korea Specialized seems to be pushing this frame quite hard, although maybe it's just individual shop owners choosing to stock them. The flagship store has a frame and complete on display, and even my small local dealer has several framesets taking up his few display racks.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

It's the complete opposite in my local area. The local bike shop I ordered this frame from didn't even know these frames existed until I told them about them. I've also never seen another Allez Sprint in person in my area and their are 5 or 6 local specialized dealers. It seems they are marketing them much more in other countries than in the US for some reason.

YungLegs

by YungLegs

Long time lurker here but I signed up to watch/follow this.

I'm buying myself an Allez DSW SL Sprint Comp next month after I crashed my Canyon last year in an ugly traffic accident. Belgium only has the red/bright orange color with no other option for order, Specialized Concept Store can't even help me out. Such a shame since this is my ultimate colorway. Only difference is I'll be riding full Force 22 with Aerofly & Sworks SL and a pair of (boatanchor weight) Veltec training wheels. Really wondering what the total weight is you are aiming at...

The blue looks really vibrant. Is that a small black sparkle in the paint btw?

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I'm trying to be realistic with a final weight, so anything 6.8kg or under and I would be happy. It's going to be tough with a power meter though. Yes there is black and silver sparkle in the paint and the clear coat has a rainbow like tint to it so when the sun hits it it changes color slightly. That's why the blue seems to look different from picture to picture. And I feel your pain concerning Specialized's limited color choices. I have no idea why someone thought it was a good idea to release frame only options in limited edition colors in very small batches in only certain markets.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

sun wrote:Have you weighed the CLX40's? Curious how they weigh vs. claimed weight from Specialized.

I got a chance to weigh the wheels and they ended up being 1374g for the front and rear including the rim strips. I believe Specialized claims 1375g for these so they were 1 gram under claimed weight.

I have begun adding up all of the weights I have and projecting using manufacture claimed weights and I believe it will be slightly over 6.8kg with the stock S-Works carbon spider and around 6.9kg with the Power2Max NG spider. I am looking into black titanium bolts and maybe an extralite ultrastar 3 expander to bring weight down a little bit more. I have updated my first post with new weights.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

SpecializedColnago wrote:

I got a chance to weigh the wheels and they ended up being 1374g for the front and rear including the rim strips. I believe Specialized claims 1375g for these so they were 1 gram under claimed weight.

I have begun adding up all of the weights I have and projecting using manufacture claimed weights and I believe it will be slightly over 6.8kg with the stock S-Works carbon spider and around 6.9kg with the Power2Max NG spider. I am looking into black titanium bolts and maybe an extralite ultrastar 3 expander to bring weight down a little bit more. I have updated my first post with new weights.

Yea... I was going to say that 6.8 was going to be tough with the parts you had stated... My DSW Allez was about 16.5 with a mix of 5800/6800 parts and 50mm wheels... I'm going to be rebuilding mine with some changes and I can't wait to see how much wait it drops. 6800 brakes are being swapped for DA9000 brakes, 6800 crank is being swapped for DA9000 crank. 5800 levers and RD will be swapped for 6800... and a few other changes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I've still got a shot at 6.8kg.... but to go under it would definitely require going through and looking at each piece individually to see what has a lighter replacement. Right now my main weight savings are the saddle, handlebar combo, tune skewers, and I guess you can throw the wheels in there kind of cause they are under 1400 grams. I still need to cut a bit off the seatpost and steerer tube so there should be a little bit of savings there. I am looking into Ti bolts but in counting, this bike only has about 9 bolts that can be replaced with Ti ones. Only 7 actually since Berk uses 2 Ti bolts for the stem clamp on the handlebar already. Too bad Lightweights are not even remotely close to any budget I have for this bike haha, that would make it too easy.