Bianchi Oltre XR4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

eajohnson

by eajohnson

Madone69 wrote:what does she weigh.
Will post my pics as soon as my saddle arrive

As a point of reference, my 57cm Oltre XR.4 weighs 15lb 2oz complete with one bottle cage, power meter pedals (bepro), carbon clinchers (Bora One 50/butyl tubes/gp4000SII) and garmin mount. With lighter pedals (not even Ti) it would be at or maybe below the UCI minimum, with tubulars I'd have to add weight for sure. To be fair, I've got direct mount EEbrakes on it but the bars are heavy (Easton EC90 aero) and the stem nothing special (3T arx pro).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

eajohnson wrote:I was initially bummed that my existing wheels were the bright logo, since all press photos use the dark label boras. However having seen how the bright wheels look on the bike I wouldn't switch now.

Agree on the wheels.. Good choice and no need to go dark... I figure Campy Bora Darks are usually made only for stealth bikes...otherwise, the pretty much look great on everything else.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

zappafile123

by zappafile123

What size is the frame pictured? Is it a 50cm? Really really keen to hear your thoughts on the XR4 vs. XR2. I'm reluctantly in the process of selling my XR2.

On that note, I cant figure it... its pretty much everything I want in a bike, pretty stiff, pretty responsive, nice road feel, kinda comfy... but Im bored!!! 12,000km and I'm just bored of its ride quality. Its shitty cause the frame is worth peanuts now - struggling to get 2.5K (AUD) for it. Also of note is the demographic potential buyers for the frame - only Asian men. funny huh?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

DaReef

by DaReef

theletterk wrote:Trying to find which wheels will suit the frame best by trying out different wheels.

Which one do you guys like?

I've got a few more wheels to try out for next few rides

Stunning!

mrgray

by mrgray

this XR4 looks great. such a perfect colour and components work really well.

@zappafile i have been thinking about trading out of mine for no real reason whatsoever and am disheartened to hear it's not easy to do (however i suspected that). but riding it today in a race i thought "this thing is fantastic". i will try and keep my buying tendencies at bay and just ride and enjoy. they are very nice frames i think.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

stang1

by stang1

theletterk wrote:sold off my XR2 and got the XR4.

The Vision Integrated handlebar in my size was not available so I make do with the old setup.

No change from the XR2 in terms of component except for some minor things like the CarbonDry Big Pulley Kit and a switch of wheelset from the Boras to a custom wheelset.

Brakes are also direct mount now so that means i have to build a new bike with the spare brakes :cry:

Will let you guys know how it feels as compared to the XR2 once I dial in the fit properly.

*The extra steerer tube is uncut because i want to make sure the vision stem height will have enough clearance! yes - it looks odd for now but i will live with it.

Fork has a slight curve shape to it

How do you get your fork and bottom race to sit flush? I'm struggling with mine and it doesn't appear to be the first . Could be batch colour related ? Mine is the black Matt version

theletterk

by theletterk

some review / updates with the bike.

....I've been riding more often and enjoying it a lot and I have not weighed it YET! my apologies. I will do it asap!

one thing that is totally different from the XR2 is how well countervail works. When I first for the XR4, I was NOT expecting countervail to work because I don't buy into technology hype. But because the change from XR2 to XR4 was within the week itself, I could feel the ride difference.

Quality of the ride is always there from Bianchi. Extremely smooth with no signs of lagging. Responsive on the first stroke of the pedal. It is definitely not a climber's climber bike but it gets up there well enough as it does well in most other aspect.

speedwise. this bike definitely seems to be able to get you lower on the front end due to the headtube design. my only worry now is dust and sand might get in to the FSA headset area as there is a 'hole' when you turn. Bianchi has done a good job in maintaining the same ride quality from the XR2 and transferred it to the XR4. Descending is also fun with this bike. nice angle when you point and go downhill. Stable and no twitchiness at all.

Now let's talk about the countervail. I have been training on the same route week in week out and I know which part is rough or which part has small holes. Some bikes I owned are stiff like hell and fast(De Rosa Protos) and some are supple but super comfortable (Parlee Z5). Imagine the XR4 has the comfort of the Z5 and yet the stiffness of the Protos! It takes on the rough roads with ease and I felt very little vibration on the saddle. it was very muted over rough roads and just floats along the small bumps/holes etc. I like how it feels. this damn thing works!

overall - a good improvement over the XR2. :thumbup:

theletterk

by theletterk

stang1 wrote:
How do you get your fork and bottom race to sit flush? I'm struggling with mine and it doesn't appear to be the first . Could be batch colour related ? Mine is the black Matt version

can u post a picture here to let us have a look? I would like to see it. will pass it on to my mech and let him see if he has a solution to this.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

theletterk wrote:some review / updates with the bike.

Thanks very much for the much needed update!!!

theletterk wrote:It is definitely not a climber's climber bike

What do you mean by climbers bike? I never really understood what reviewers mean by something being a climbers bike other than it being light.

theletterk wrote:Descending is also fun with this bike. Stable and no twitchiness at all.

Would you say its better than the XR2? On a certain level, you'd expect it to perform on a fairly similar level because the geometries are almost identical bar the 5 mm cut in the head-tube/stack. Who knows, maybe thats enough to radically alter how the bike handles.

One beef I have with my XR2 is that overall its not a particularity stable bike. You feel a little precariously perched up rolling along. There's no strong sense of being planted firmly on the ground. When it comes to descending, the bike is by no means skittish, but it doesnt feel intuitive to corner on. There's none of that 'my bike is on rails' feel to it. Its by no means a poor or scary descender, but its defiantly not good (relative to other bikes Ive ridden).

theletterk wrote:One thing that is totally different from the XR2 is how well countervail works [...] I felt very little vibration on the saddle. it was very muted over rough roads and just floats along the small bumps/holes etc. I like how it feels. this damn thing works!

Its fantastic to hear that it does work. Comfort is a dimension I've only just begun to appreciate. Some bikes just beat you up an leave you feeling wrecked after 3-4 hours in the saddle (e.g. the XR2 with Shamal Mille). Whereas a bit of vibration absorption along the way can be the difference between feeling like shit the next day and having a bit more energy left to burn.

How do you find the comfort through the forks in the cockpit? One reviewer noted a big disparity between the sensations felt at the seat vs. HB. The XR2 has that characteristic to some extent. Though I only find you notice it on real rough chip n' seal roads. Specifically, the high frequency vibration will make your hands tingle and itch! it sucks!

theletterk wrote:Bianchi has done a good job in maintaining the same ride quality from the XR2 and transferred it to the XR4.

overall - a good improvement over the XR2. :thumbup:

Thats great to hear! I think the XR2 is far from perfect in any one dimension, but as a complete package, its still probably the best bike Ive owned. Throw in the big boost to comfort you mention, and it sounds like a contender for being one of the best framesets on the market.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

theletterk

by theletterk

hi zappafile123,
this bike can definitely climb for sure. maybe I wasn't quite specific :P not a climber's climber bike meaning the weight..hahaha....this bike is definitely nowhere near 6kg. rough guess would be 6.8? I like to think that a climber's climbing bike would be appx 6kg and below. I enjoy it a lot BUT not as much as my Z5 during the climb simply due to the weight diff (my parlee is 5.5). I am not a strong rider so any weight reduction helps a lot!

yes. it would be a good upgrade over the XR2. Just the countervail itself is already a huge difference in ride quality. Stability wise, I already find the XR2 very stable so can't complain much that the XR4 performs similarly to it. pretty much a turn and go bike when going downhill. Again, I must say we don't have much of a downhill in Singapore and this was done in one of the few up/down training area we have.

the feel in the cockpit is very comfortable. vibration is minimal cos I used a pretty obscure brand (Fabric) which i really like and I added custom ladies' heel gel pad under it (only at the top of bar and near the hoods) to absorb vibration. this combination has followed me for a few bikes and I find it working well.

I cannot complain much about this bike because it does everything well and more than I need. It is the refinements over the XR2 that I like.

Now, I am waiting for the Vision integrated handlebar to arrive and I should be able to see if the angle and bar will make a big difference to the position now (I am running a -17 stem now)

will keep you guys updated if this still interest you all!

stang1

by stang1

theletterk wrote:
stang1 wrote:

can u post a picture here to let us have a look? I would like to see it. will pass it on to my mech and let him see if he has a solution to this.

Here is attached, same issue is like yours, I'm worried about dust and water getting into the bearings. Am looking at alternative headset options so please let me know if you know of any !
It does look abit better but its definitely obvious. Wondering how the guys at TDU are getting it flush..

jlu

by jlu

Hi. I guess it's a 50. What is your inseam?

theletterk

by theletterk

jlu wrote:Hi. I guess it's a 50. What is your inseam?

yup...size is 50. my inseam is 77.5cm

Shrike

by Shrike

Beautiful bikes. Congrats guys! Maybe the most beautiful frame ever to my eye :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stang1

by stang1

theletterk wrote:
jlu wrote:Hi. I guess it's a 50. What is your inseam?

yup...size is 50. my inseam is 77.5cm

Any word from your mechanic yet ? :(