Soulcraft Royale - Californian steel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

beepbeep

by beepbeep

It all started with a tatty mid-eighties Colnago Master. I built it up with a modern groupset to use as a second bike. Strangely this second bike quickly became the first choice over a lighter/stiffer/etc/etc carbon BMC. It was however a little on the large side, so the plan was to replace it with a modern steel frame in my size, which would also be lighter and have the convenience of a 1 1/8 headtube.

Enter the Soulcraft Royale.

Built with an ever-dependable Ultegra 6700 groupset, with the exception of the Rotor cranks/Q-rings and DA cassette. Wheel wise I alternate between the Mavic clinchers shown or Easton EC90 tubs. Bars are 3T Biomorphe, which although slightly odd looking, have great hand positions. Finished off with King ti cages and a ti PMP seatpost. A couple of personal touches are the custom decals and polished Arx stem.

The frame weighs just over 1600g.
Complete build – according to the bathroom scales – with Mavics around 8.2kg and 7.7kg with the Eastons.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Nice! I saw one in person a few years ago...solid bikes.

corky

by corky

Always admired soulcraft frames , just could not live with the seatstay/seatube junction always llooks like a wart on a beautiful nose......

beepbeep

by beepbeep

Cheers @Wingnut I like your observation - sums up Soulcraft well - no fuss, no frills, just a solid bike.

@corky you mean that the seat stays end above the top tube? Not something I've really thought about, coming from a background of nineties Canadian mtbs I even feel at home with it :lol:

corky

by corky

beepbeep wrote:Cheers @Wingnut I like your observation - sums up Soulcraft well - no fuss, no frills, just a solid bike.

@corky you mean that the seat stays end above the top tube? Not something I've really thought about, coming from a background of nineties Canadian mtbs I even feel at home with it :lol:

Yeah it's just me but there's no way I could put up with it....I think there's some engineering reason for it but aesthetically......

Fortunately I am sure that I am in a considerable minority...

beepbeep

by beepbeep

Here's a pic of the Eastons from today's ride in fine but chilly autumn weather.
(Unfortunately the decals are under clear coat otherwise they would have been removed)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I like them in the smaller sizes...the seat stay attachment doesn't bother me. They're nice in red...