Back in the Saddle: My new to me Look 595

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

After moving to Colorado I strayed from road riding. Short summers (Lived in Breckenridge), other hobbies eating up free time, Not loving the uphill portions of road rides, and a few shoulder injuries/fit/comfort issues inspired the sale of my old Lapierre x-lite 999 fdj/red/Chris king wheeled ride.

Fast forward 5 years, I'm back in Minnesota and summer arrived. I gained 25 pounds since moving back to the Midwest and it was time to get back in the saddle!!!

Having a more limited initial budget than I would have liked ($2k) finding something in my size, especially locally, proved difficult. I found a sweet deal on a Cervelo SLC-SL/Record/303 from a forum member here that I was interested in, but it sold before I pulled it together. In the end, I wound up with a lugged carbon frameset which I did prefer from the start. For my needs, and only having been able to base the Cervelo's handling/ride characteristics on reviews I read vs a test ride, the more compliant and smoother nature of the 595 was preferable as well.

Here is what I found/acquired:
07/08 Look 595 - size small (bonus that the bike came with both the rsp post and the e-post)

Record 10 shifters/rear mech.
Record calipers
Super record 11 fd
Super record 11 crankset (seller was wrong about crank arm length. They are 175. Ideally I ride a 170. Hopefully I can find a replacement cheap or trade another local rider/forum member for a shorter 170-172.5 length.)

Deda Elementi Zero 100 100mm stem (ideally I'd ride a 90mm)
Zipp Aero Sl-70 bars (very aesthically pleasing while being compact in size which is a bonus)
Fizik Arione CX
Zipp 404 tubulars with the 082/182 hubs (carbon caps). Wrapped in Almost brand new Vittoria Corsa SC 23c's

The previous owner claimed the bike weighed in at 14.2 lbs(6.44kg). I have not had a chance to verify weight but It doesn't sound too far out of line.

Plans for the bike:
1.) Get it properly fit
2.) SR 11 Levers, rear mech mod to allow 11sp function until I find a good 11sp sr deal, Chorus+ cassette/chain
3.) Replace the Look Keo (classic or sprint) pedals that I'll be temporarily riding (nearly brand new and free) with a pair of the Xpresso 12 or another pair of RXS ulteam which I'd ridden in the past and loved.
4.) Arundel cages
5.) Touch up the scratches and chips on the paint/clear + wet sanding/polishing to blend properly.
6.) Pick up a campy freehub for the rear wheel. I noticed after returning home and starting to clean the bike up that is a Dura Ace cassette and freehub body. While it certainly doesn't shift as well as I'm sure it COULD, it does remarkably well through the range.
7.) Saddle swap if the Arione doesn't agree with me. First impressions are neutral and it is essentially brand new so I could make a few bucks on it as it sits.
8.) Garmin 500 or 520 to replace the cateye strata wireless I had laying around.
9.) Ride the hell out of it!!!! I can stand to lose a lot more (newly acquired winter) weight on ME than the bike itself!

Ignore the platform pedals in the photo. I am waiting for my cycling shoes to show up (small and wide/impossible to find locally). I needed to get some miles in on it immediately!

I will post some better photos later this week. I'll also be adding some before and after shots of the paintwork I repair and upgrades as the come along.

Image20160416_131711 by abrown3mtg, on Flickr

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Awesome frameset!! I've always liked Looks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Sweet 595, great find on a smaller one. They always seems to be Large.

Great build, I would try shifting 11 speed with the current rear derailleur. I have done it with Veloce ones and it worked fine.

I've got some 90 stems laying around if you need one.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Thank you both! I'm really happy with the frameset choice as well. I love the simple aesthetics of the frameset!

duvivr6 wrote:Sweet 595, great find on a smaller one. They always seems to be Large.

Great build, I would try shifting 11 speed with the current rear derailleur. I have done it with Veloce ones and it worked fine.

I've got some 90 stems laying around if you need one.

I'm sure vanity will prevail if/when the right priced rear SR mech pops on ebay, but it is always nice to be able to add to the bike/build as I go! Aside from how much I prefer the look of the 11 speed, I find the ergonomics to be far better for my smaller hands.

I agree, I see the 585/595 (my favorite appearance wise from their prior offerings) but this is only the second one I have found in the correct size.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Wow. I miss my Look sometimes, and this doesn't help! A beauty.

That weight seems optimistic though!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

greentimgreen wrote:Wow. I miss my Look sometimes, and this doesn't help! A beauty.

That weight seems optimistic though!

Thank you! I am not sure if his weight was without pedals, cages, or computer (and assume it was). I'll have to get it on a scale... At least I have the fact due to my stature everything I need on my own builds are on the smaller side!

It was raining today so I picked up an elite carbon bottle cage off craigslist on my way home from work :D.

Also found a Campy free hub body for my wheels a few blocks away I'm grabbing tomorrow..... I can't wait to get the 11sp stuff on!

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

I'm getting antsy... and the weenie way about me is coming out! Now I'm debating dropping the 404's for a set of dv46t u/l's..... Save some decent weight there.... hopefully trying out the san marco mantra..Eyes are on the time xpresso 12+ Perhaps some skewers,

I'm open to suggestions!

Edit: I picked up a campy free hub and one of the full ti record 10 cassettes. I believe I also found a zoncolan fx team carbon saddle that will be on it soon. I ran through the Zipp hubs today and cleaned/repacked the bearings. Also picked up some touch up paint and clear coat to rejuvenate the appearance a bit.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

I've been working quite a bit and decided to spend a bit more time out riding the bike before doing all the upgrades I initially planned. I've been very impressed with the ride quality and characteristics. I definitely love this bike.

I ended up deciding that comfort meant more than looks to some degree. As is such, my stem is flipped up. Due to my build/stature, I'm actually in a more aggressive stance when on the bike than it would appear based on these photos. I'd briefly considered switching to another frameset for the aesthetics of this but after some consideration/how much I enjoy the ride characteristics, for the time being I'm very content.

Here she is as I've been riding her the last few months.

I added a Garmin Edge 520, than downgraded to 510, Mounted with a k-edge.
Threw on a set of Keo Classic's I had laying around (temporary)
Swapped to the San Marco Zoncolan Team Edition with Carbon rails
Decided on the Elite Patao bottle cages.
Zipp Service Course SL stem
Picked up the elastomers for the ISP post and honestly this was the most notable swap. It completely transforms the ride quality and comfort.

Left the Record 10 Ergos, RD, Calipers, and Cassette, Super Record Crankset and FD. + 404 tubulars
Also still have the knock off Zipp bars that came with the bike and I didn't catch when I purchased it.

Image20160912_004033 by abrown3mtg, on Flickr
Image20160912_004312 by abrown3mtg, on Flickr
Image20160912_003824 by abrown3mtg, on Flickr
Image20160912_003816 by abrown3mtg, on Flickr
Image20160912_004252 by abrown3mtg, on Flickr
Image20160912_004353 by abrown3mtg, on Flickr

kgt

by kgt

I much prefer the previous look btw... :/

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

kgt wrote:I much prefer the previous look btw... :/
''

Do you mean the original saddle and stem? Or?

kgt

by kgt

Previous saddle, stem and fit.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

kgt wrote:Previous saddle, stem and fit.

I'm with you. I just wish my body had liked them better too! I'm going to continue working on getting the stem angle back down as I get more miles in. I opted for the Zipp stem to match the bars/wheels for the time being as Deda makes it a point to be even more noticeable when upside down with their logo :D.

If I can figure out a way to effectively mask off logos to look factory, I'm considering stripping the frameset down this winter and refinishing it. I'm thinking satin or matte clear on the tubes/fork, gloss black logos, and gloss black or white lugs.

McGilli

by McGilli

abrown3mtg wrote:I ended up deciding that comfort meant more than looks to some degree.

:thumbup:

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

abrown3mtg wrote:
kgt wrote:Previous saddle, stem and fit.

I'm with you. I just wish my body had liked them better too! I'm going to continue working on getting the stem angle back down as I get more miles in. I opted for the Zipp stem to match the bars/wheels for the time being as Deda makes it a point to be even more noticeable when upside down with their logo :D.

If I can figure out a way to effectively mask off logos to look factory, I'm considering stripping the frameset down this winter and refinishing it. I'm thinking satin or matte clear on the tubes/fork, gloss black logos, and gloss black or white lugs.

Thats an awesome looking bike and must say that its one of the very few Look bikes that really catch my eye. If anything, I like the bike as it is and no need to re-color it.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement! I'm still debating super record 11 vs electronic. I'm just keeping my eyes peeled for the right deal, also shorter cranks, and lighter pedals and skewers. I will get the bug to pay attention to it this winter while it's too cold to go ride. The bike feels incredibly fast. It's actually surprising to me how much this aspect has lessened my compulsion to shed bike weight. I'll drop a lb off it once I drop 10 lbs off myself :D