by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

theletterk wrote:
em3 wrote:Nice ride, but u need to re-tape the bars....start from bottom and finish at top along the scalloped edge molded in the bar. Also, remove warning labels from ur Boras and make sure that when ur front tire wears and u need to replace it (assuming those r tubular) that the silver Campy barcode sticker ends up on the non-drive side ( matching rear wheel)....details matter if ur going to b a weight weenie :)

thanks for the advise :P

boras are new so I didn't remove the warning stickers yet. just to check - I normally follow the direction of the words CULT on the hub. On the rear wheel - the word CULT rotates with the T L U C downwards. so I always put the front wheel in the same direction. But if I follow the barcode stickers (matching rear wheel).....the hubs will not be in the right direction :( Is there actually proper direction in this case?

@theletterk: You've got your Boras mounted correctly. The barcode is on the drive side of the front wheel and the non drive side of the rear wheel. Perhaps it's just how they are done during final inspection, don't know. And your assumption based on the lettering of the sticker on the hub works, but even if that Cult sticker weren't there, the way you can tell is that the adjusting cone (with the 2.5mm adjusting bolt) is always on the non drive side, both front and back. No big deal, it will function just fine either way, but since we're paying attention to details and all, may as well get it right.
I've actually removed the bar code stickers from my Boras... cuz they look like price tags. Left them on long enough to make sure there weren't any immediate warranty issues, then took detailed pics of them before removing, just in case. with that, the original packaging which also includes the barcodes I think, and the original receipt I would hope I would be good in the event I ever needed a warranty claim.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

theletterk

by theletterk

Calnago wrote:@theletterk: You've got your Boras mounted correctly. The barcode is on the drive side of the front wheel and the non drive side of the rear wheel. Perhaps it's just how they are done during final inspection, don't know. And your assumption based on the lettering of the sticker on the hub works, but even if that Cult sticker weren't there, the way you can tell is that the adjusting cone (with the 2.5mm adjusting bolt) is always on the non drive side, both front and back. No big deal, it will function just fine either way, but since we're paying attention to details and all, may as well get it right.
I've actually removed the bar code stickers from my Boras... cuz they look like price tags. Left them on long enough to make sure there weren't any immediate warranty issues, then took detailed pics of them before removing, just in case. with that, the original packaging which also includes the barcodes I think, and the original receipt I would hope I would be good in the event I ever needed a warranty claim.

:) I have removed the warning stickers and bar code last week and it looks all cleaned up!

left them in the same position as well and now it looks clean! Thanks for the confirmation Calnago! hope we are right too but like what you said - it will function fine either way!

did some touch up last night. Changed the stem / wrapped the handlebar using the celeste green bartape from bianchi. Bike looks brighter now. will upload some pics in a while.

em3

by em3

Calnago wrote:@theletterk: You've got your Boras mounted correctly. .

Oye....I never said they were mounted incorrectly, just suggested that barcode sticker be on the same side. @Calnago, you do realize we are just talking silly cosmetics here, yes?

theletterk

by theletterk

em3 wrote:

Oye....I never said they were mounted incorrectly, just suggested that barcode sticker be on the same side. @Calnago, you do realize we are just talking silly cosmetics here, yes?

hahaha....I'm know you meant well! anything to make the bike nicer!

That said - I've removed the unnecessary stickers and also tried out a celeste col bar tape. I think it looks fine both ways (black or celeste).

Now....to just pray for non hazy weekend so that I can actually RIDE!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

em3 wrote:

Of course I realize that, but you raised the issue about getting the details right, and that little detail is just one of those things to get right. Take the bar codes off if you don't like them, but don't put your wheel in backwards so they're on the same side. :). Like a good wheelbuilder will make sure the logos on the hub and rim are facing the right way, and if you look through the valve hole it will line up with the logo, etc. Doesn't make the wheel run any differently, but it's the details man, the details make the difference.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ