Cipollini RB1K Black Pig project [6.39kg]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

vlastrada

by vlastrada

So I am building a RB1K after getting a deal on my RB800*

The frame is a Small** custom RB1K in matte carbon, with a slither of shiny black paint, mainly on the fork. The finish is much better than any other Cipo I have previously seen or had (both inside and out).

The frame weighs 1205g with uncut ISP + 334g uncut fork, a grand total of 14 grams heavier than my supposedly ''superlight, built for climbing'' RB800 (1184g +340g).
Marketing, eh! Yes, they are both pig heavy. But I love how the RB1k rides.

Can't wait to ride it, and of course I have been down with fever, so its all been delayed....Anyways, I digress....here is a couple of dismal iphone pics (apologies)

Notes
* This RB800 http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125756
** Small : HT=10cm, TT=53.5

Pigs are vastly underrated and unloved animals. Cipos are not, but they do ride well.
Last edited by vlastrada on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Nice!
Btw what happened to your green RB800?

Cheers

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Looking forward to seeing this built up :thumbup:

davec

by davec

Subscribed. Keep the updates coming!

plpete

by plpete

vlastrada wrote:Pigs are vastly underrated and unloved animals. Cipos are not, but they do ride well.

Vlad, pigs deserve plenty of love, especially the black ones :wink: Apparently the produce some of Italy's best hams and prosciutto (Culatello di Zibello)! Aaaaand now I'm hungry :lol:

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

plpete stop that. I am in the office and now salivating. ;-)

And yes, very interested in this build...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Cheers :) and despite being Italian, the culinary black pig award goes to Spain's Pata Negra....the best ham ever...
@ Maverick: for a series of reasons i had the opportunity to upgrade my RB800 to this RB1K and am grateful to the guys @ Cipollini USA :beerchug: a very good bunch

I am curious about the forthcoming NK1K which will be released at Eurobike....assuming it is the new RB1K (?)...not sure if any of you guys and kgt know anything yet

in any case, barring divorce, no frame upgrades for a while for me :)....but pretty chuffed with this....
Last edited by vlastrada on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Ok, I'm excited to see your new build because your RB0.80k was my Wallpaper for months but you have to share with us what problem caused you to trade it for the RB1K because others like myself might be considering it for out next project. I know Cipo matte color paint although looks beautiful for the lack of a better word (sucks) and looks like it could easily be removed with the lack clear coat. This was a factor in me picking my F8 over the RB1K or Bond. Did this have anything to do with why?

lowlands

by lowlands

Nicccccceeeeee!

micky

by micky

According to an italian forum, the NK1K would be a sort of new top of the range with very similar shapes to the Nuke.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Thanks guys, and especially PlPete for helping with the build! :)

These babies are going on the fat beast:

...but barred these and a few other exceptions, it's going to be a fairly classic build with Campy Super Record mechanical and Campy SRM cranks (780g!!!)....

Re final weight: my wild guess is maybe ~6.5kg with tubs and ~6.7kg with clinchers (Hyperons U2)....but it could well end up being heavier

@BackMadone, @Maverick: Fair question. The paint on my green RB800 developed a tiny hairline crack and had to be sent back to Italy.
Cipo said it was just a matter of touching up the paint, but the process takes several weeks and quite possibly months. I asked for alternative solutions
and I was given the option to 'upgrade' to an RB1k (not quite for free). Like I mentioned, Cipollini USA were really very good.
If the back up had not been good, I would have not got another Cipollini. While they ride great and are made of really thick carbon,
they are not indestructible (nor cheap). A good warranty is an absolute necessity.
Last edited by vlastrada on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

That frameset weight isnt too bad at all especially considering its an ISP.
I do really like these frames. Wish there was more bikes with this kind of geometry and style.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

prebsy

by prebsy

Beatiful frame! I'm not sure a wheel as shallow as the Hyperon will be doing justice to the muscular lines but I can't wait to see it built up either way.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com