Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 [yep, another one]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

outnumbered

by outnumbered

I mentioned in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64037) that I needed to get a new “best” frame, as my C50 had died. I’ve got more spare time than usual for cycling at the moment, and so wanted to get something pretty quickly. So while I’d have loved to have got a C60 to replace it, I didn’t want to wait 6 months for them to glue one together in my abnormal size, not to mention the fairly salty asking price.

I looked at this forum for inspiration and at various frames that were available in the local bike shops, but didn’t find one that particularly appealed, or that was available in my size. Then I remembered I’d recently been admiring a clubmate’s Canyon, and found that their website showed stock immediately available in the right size. The Ultimate CF geometry was pretty close to the C50, but with slightly longer reach. The Endurace was also possible, but maybe a bit too short in reach. The temptation of a pro-race frame was too much, and in the end I figured I may as well go for the Ultimate SLX over the SL, as I don’t buy frames that often and might as well get the top version, and since this is WW, save a few grams too.

So, I pressed the button on a size 2XL Ultimate CF SLX, and it arrived on my doorstep ten days later. I also ordered a 110mm stem to get the reach to where I wanted it, as that size frame comes from stock with a 120mm stem. Separately I bought a Chorus UT chainset as the old one wasn’t reusable with the new frame

Next, a few happy hours in the garage transferring bits over from the old bike. No real problems encountered other than needing a really short rear brake nut, my friendly local bike tech obliged with a titanium one. The only other issue was pressing in the BB cups, but my good friend and also long-time WW Miller came over with his Giant Nut and Bolt, which made short work of the job.

So here’s the result. I think it looks pretty good, but will do something about the bottle cages ASAP – suggestions welcomed. In due course I’ll buy 11 speed levers/mechs/cassette, but apart from that I’m very happy with it. I’ve been out for one decent ride on it already, and it feels amazingly stiff and responsive after the C50, if not quite as good at soaking up road buzz, but that is much as expected.

Total weight is 7.25kg, which is not bad at all when you consider that it’s a big frame, and generally mid-range rather than super-light parts.

Complete bike by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Complete bike by tw_tvam, on Flickr

110mm Ritchey stem, also saves a few grams over the Canyon stem by tw_tvam, on Flickr

That's what it is by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Chorus 2015 chainset by tw_tvam, on Flickr

These levers have seen some action by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX. 2XL size
Fork: Canyon One One Four SLX
Hanger: Canyon
Headset: Acros Ai-70
Seatpost clamp: Canyon
Seatpost: Canyon S13 VCLS CF
Saddle: Fi'zik Aliante Gamma
Stem: Ritchey 4-Axis 1.25in 110mm
Bar: ITM Millennium Wing Shape 40cm c/c
Bartape: Colnago (!)
Bottle cages: Elite Ciussi
Outer Cables: Campagnolo
Inner Cables: Campagnolo
Brakes: Chorus Skeleton Dual Pivot (F/R)
Front derailleur: Chorus 10 Speed
Rear derailleur: Chorus 10 Speed
Crankset: Chorus 4 Arm 11 Speed
Bottom Bracket: Chorus UT
Chainrings: Chorus
Chainring bolts: Chorus
Chain : Chorus 11 Speed
Shifters: Chorus 10 Speed
Cassette: Chorus 12-25
Wheels: Campagnolo Eurus 2-Way Fit
Innertubes: Vittoria Ultralite
Tyres: Schwalbe One 25mm
Pedals: Look Keo Carbon

Total 7.25kg

outnumbered

by outnumbered

Over Christmas, I bought the remaining 11 speed parts I needed, and I've now upgraded the transmission to full 2015 Chorus. Also changed the saddle after getting a saddle fit at a local shop, and the bottle cages. I've weighed it a bit more carefully and it's coming out at 7.20kg now, which makes me think I mis-measured it previously.

First big ride on it tomorrow, so I hope that'll go well.

ImageDPP_4827 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

ImageDPP_4823 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

ImageDPP_4824 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

ImageDPP_4826 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX. 2XL size
Fork: Canyon One One Four SLX
Hanger: Canyon
Headset: Acros Ai-70
Seatpost clamp: Canyon
Seatpost: Canyon S13 VCLS CF
Saddle: Prologo Zero II PAS
Stem: Ritchey 4-Axis 1.25in 110mm
Bar: ITM Millennium Wing Shape 40cm c/c
Bartape: Cinelli
Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race
Outer Cables: Campagnolo
Inner Cables: Campagnolo
Brakes: Chorus Skeleton Dual Pivot (F/R)
Front derailleur: Chorus 2015 11 Speed
Rear derailleur: Chorus 2015 11 Speed
Crankset: Chorus 2015 Arm 11 Speed
Bottom Bracket: Chorus UT
Chainrings: Chorus
Chainring bolts: Chorus
Chain : Chorus 11 Speed
Shifters: Chorus 2015 11 Speed
Cassette: Chorus 12-27
Wheels: Campagnolo Eurus 2-Way Fit
Innertubes: Vittoria Ultralite
Tyres: Schwalbe One 25mm
Pedals: Look Keo Carbon

Total 7.2kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice weight and build for a larger frame. Props!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

corky

by corky

Very nice for a big bike.......sensible build, and still a head turner

riochang

by riochang

Nice bike!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFR75

by AFR75

Hello, how tall are you?

Nice Bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

outnumbered

by outnumbered

The bike hasn't changed in the last 6 months, apart from the small matter of me riding into a gate (don't ask!), where the headtube took most of the impact.

It had a vertical 3cm crack, and two horizontal cracks each side of about 1.5cm. The headtube on this 2XL frame is a pretty solid structure, so I rode the bike in this state for a couple of months before having it repaired at the end of the season. The cracks didn't get any worse in that time, and it didn't feel any different either.

I thought about getting a new frame from Canyon under their crash damage scheme, but that was still going to run to 50% of the frame cost, if they'd accepted it. So I had it repaired by Carbon Bike Repair in Leatherhead (http://www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk/) , and they did an excellent job, including matching the matt paint perfectly. So :thumbup: :thumbup: for them.