Re: MTB Tubular

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Geoff

by Geoff

Awhile ago, some guys were asking about the Geax Saguaros. Someone sent me these pics of the 'production' versions:
Attachments
Geax Saguaro 2.jpg
Geax Saguaro.jpg

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Here's the article about the Jamis team riding Geax Saguaro 2.0 tubulars on Edge rims at Sea Otter: http://velonews.com/article/91109/the-j ... -sea-otter
Your uploaded pictures origin from this article.

Sea Otter Tech: Geax: Team Jamis raced tubular wheels with Edge rims and Chris King hubs. | Photo: Zack Vestal

Sea Otter Tech: Geax: The Saguaro is only available in 26 x 2.0, but it's more viable than custom Dugast tires. | Photo: Zack Vestal

Sea Otter Tech: Geax: The Saguaro MTB tubular is a fast all purpose tire. This one has 20 hours of ride time. | Photo: Zack Vestal

Sea Otter Tech: Edge. The tire bed has a groove for the tire seam. | Photo: Zack Vestal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Any info on price and availability?

Kwik

by Kwik

I have weighed one last week. Weight was 680 gram, normal weight for a tubular tyre I think.

koser

by koser

my Dugast weights 543g and 531g.... alot lighter, i have a tufo tubolar that´s lighter than this (o;
In the movie "The Matrix", Chuck Norris is the Matrix. If you pay close attention in the green "falling code" scenes, you can make out the faint texture of his beard.

karl711

by karl711

I can,t really get my head round the point of tubs tyres on mtb's when the stans system does such a good job of saving weight & sealing punctures.
As far as i can see this is an expensive step backwards.
I have rode tubs & clinchers on my road bike & couldn't notice any real difference. Is there much difference between a mtb tub & a good lightweight tyre running on the stans system?
pain & fear is natures way of telling you you are getting old.

Geoff

by Geoff

The point of tubulars for MTB is not just to save weight or reduce punctures. The principal reason is for imporved traction (i.e., you can run less than 22 psi!). If you run really low pressures with tubeless, you can risk losing all of your pressure to a bead burp. Another potentially huge advantage is that you can run the tire basically completely flat (if you have to). I have seen (but not experienced myself) a race being lost due to a flat at the finish.

I have run tubular MTB for 2 seasons and also appreciate the ride quality (similar to tubular vs clinchers on road). I don't know about the expense side yet, as I have not had a flat (I am kinda hoping that they will be like road tubulars, where I have had 4 flats in 20+ years, but I doubt it). I don't know what to say about not noticing the difference between clinchers and tubulars on the road.

Make no mistake, the use of tubulars for MTB is best for XC racing and not for recreational riding.

JK

by JK

It kind of makes sense for racers that have a spare wheelset in the pitlane.

With a flatted tubular, you can roll it for some distance, with some control and without too much damage to the rim. Offcourse, on a rocky course, this will not work, but on grass sections it will.

With a Notubed tire, you would have to take the tire off to do this and that takes some time and it's kind of messy :?.

There is no real difference in rolling resistance, although anyone who has invested in a wheelset and Dugasts will tell you otherwise :wink:. In fact, the rolling resistance of the Dugast 'bring your own tire and we will build a tubular with it' is kind of poor. They cut out the tread section, but leave the casing intact, so you get twice the casing (cotton plus the original tire). There goes the whole suppleness idea and it adds a lot of weight... Their own tubular tread performs much better, because the glued on tread is a lot thinner.

A real benefit is the ability to ride with low pressure. You can do that too with Stan's, but you run a lot more risk to dent your rim. There is no (or very little) rim cavity on a tubular rim, so there is more distance between the rim and the tire tread.

Edit: Geoff beat me to it!

Epic-o

by Epic-o

koser wrote:my Dugast weights 543g and 531g.... alot lighter, i have a tufo tubolar that´s lighter than this (o;

What Dugast tubular is? Pics?

xcfisher

by xcfisher

The Geax tire is OK... I'm not a huge fan of the tread, and compared to others, the tire is very heavy.

My experience is that the Dugast Rhino's are the best rolling tire and provides the best feel. The fastest (and lightest) by far is the Tufo XC2. We will see a bunch of new tubular's this year... I have been riding them for the better part of 2.5 years. Weight is good, but the way they ride is much better.

freshkas

by freshkas

Only one race and perfect rolling, feeling and excellent grip, good investment
Dugast 43 mm 522gr-532 gr
Attachments
IMG_9370_2.jpg

Kross King

by Kross King

Hi
i have started riding tubs this year they are brilliant ,period.
so much better than i expected them to be i can get away riding the lightest treads on courses that you just shouldn't be able to ride them on.
I will be selling several pairs of custom tubs in next few days that haven't been used keep your eyes peeled or pm me for details.I have pictures
Bruce
"Pain is temporary - just like life"
"lifes a b*tch and then you die"

dreadlaw

by dreadlaw

who produce tubular rim apart from Edge, they're so expensive. also where I can get the Dugast 43 mm tires, any picture can show me the tire pattern ?

Geoff

by Geoff

I am on the Tufo versions. The rims are really nice, but they are built-up on DT 340s, which may be overkill. I will leave them for now, but if I bust a bunch of spokes out, I will re-build them with 240s (I am limited in hub choices as I am also running Record 10).

koser

by koser

I have reynolds wheels (rim) w. revolution spokes and Hugi 240 hubs... Tufo makes a wheelset w. 240 hubs as well, and EDGE of course
In the movie "The Matrix", Chuck Norris is the Matrix. If you pay close attention in the green "falling code" scenes, you can make out the faint texture of his beard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com