S-Works Epic Evo Buy vs Build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JensKreider

by JensKreider

Hello,

I would like to get an S-Works Epic Evo. However, I'm still not quite sure which variant I should buy.

Basics:
  • Budget is at 8k
    I do not want DOT brakes
    I want to use the bike for XC races and a Transalp this year, as well as for training intervals off-road
    I ride most of my kilometers on a road bike or gravel bike
    Electronic shifting is a must-have
    No tubeless
    Under 10kg would be nice, but not at all costs.
Variant 1 - Epic Evo S-Works 2023 - 7200 Euro:
It's this model https://www.specialized.com/lu/de/s-wor ... 285-205802

I would change the following:
Drive: SRAM X0 Transmission cassette
PowerMeter: SRAM Quarq Power Meter Spider AXS
Brakes: SHIMANO XTR 4-piston
Tires: Continental Race King Protection 29x2.20
Tubes: RideNow Ultralight MTB

Here I would need to sell the following parts:
Drive: SRAM XX1 Eagle could luckily bring in 1k
Brakes: SRAM G2 RS could luckily bring 100 Euro

Variant 2 - Epic Evo S-Works 2023 Frame Kit - 7900 Euro:
It's this kit https://www.specialized.com/lu/de/s-wor ... 286-205804
Epic Evo Build - Frame Build.jpg
Here I think I have the better wheels and no hassle with the sale. I like the color of both. I prefer the FrameKit, but not 900 euros more.

Where I'm not sure:
RockShox Reverb - Maybe there's something better out there. One does read quite a bit of negative things.
Nextie Alpha - I've selected it now because I'm satisfied with the Nexties on my road bike. A Duke Crazy Jack would probably also be good.
For the suspension fork, I have just selected the one from the S-Works model. A different one could be possible.
For the power meter, I could also switch to Assioma PRO MX-2. They cost about the same, which I could also use on rental bikes during my vacation. However, they don't fit into the SRAM AXS system and my coach can't do anything with them.

What do you think of the build and which variant would you choose? Where can I improve or save some more?

snaxez

by snaxez

Have you considered RockShox Flight Attendant, but that might throw you over the budget.
For power meter I would go with an older XX1 quarq spider with 104 BCD. New one is compatible only with those screw-on chainrings. With 104 BCD you could run WolfTooth oval Drop-Stop B chainrings. (I have this on my transmission groupset, works great)
There is plenty 104 BCD chainrings out there to pick from.
Also if you go with Flight Attendant, or plan to swap in the future, then you need a pedal sensor or Quarq power meter. So thats another plus for Quarq option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

I am wondering what makes you to avoid tubeless, while purchasing one of the most vulnerable tires on the market. Tubeless is a must on any MTB or gravel bike.

There is sometimes even better discount on epic sw evo frameset, for 3160 eur for example.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

JensKreider

by JensKreider

snaxez wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:49 am
Have you considered RockShox Flight Attendant, but that might throw you over the budget.
For power meter I would go with an older XX1 quarq spider with 104 BCD. New one is compatible only with those screw-on chainrings. With 104 BCD you could run WolfTooth oval Drop-Stop B chainrings. (I have this on my transmission groupset, works great)
Also if you go with Flight Attendant, or plan to swap in the future, then you need a pedal sensor or Quarq power meter. So thats another plus for Quarq option.
Flight Attendant would be an option in the future but not now. An alternativ to Quarq would be the Assioma PRO MX-2.
req110 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:04 am
I am wondering what makes you to avoid tubeless, while purchasing one of the most vulnerable tires on the market. Tubeless is a must on any MTB or gravel bike.

There is sometimes even better discount on epic sw evo frameset, for 3160 eur for example.
I have a deal for 3000 Euro for the epic evo frameset. This sounds not bad for me. I don't like the mess with the sealent, so no tubeless.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

JensKreider wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:09 am
snaxez wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:49 am
Flight Attendant would be an option in the future but not now. An alternativ to Quarq would be the Assioma PRO MX-2.
Be careful if you want to use Flight Attendant in the future.
Flight Attendant need either Quarq or Sram pedal sensor. So if you buy Assioma now you'll still need either Sram pedal sensor or Quarq when you get FA. But if you already have a Quarq. You are ready for Flight Attendant.

pushpush

by pushpush

I have this bike.

This is what I did and what I recommend based on my experience:

Keep the AXS drivetrain. Keep the AXS Reverb dropper - It is heavy but it is exceptional.
Swap to the XTR brakes. To hell with the SRAM brakes. Use the adapter plates and the SRAM shifters mount right to the shimano levers. So nice.
100% run this tubeless.
I went to a power2maxNG powermeter. I was tired of dealing with quark reliability issues.
I burned through 2 SRAM Dub BBs before I replaced w/ a BBInfinite.
Definitely get the remote lockout. I was skeptical at first but really love the sram twistloc.

freepk

by freepk

With Specialized bikes there are just one rule:
- Only S-Works )

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Brakes:
I like Lewis LV2 better than XTR so far. Another good brakes that use Mineral Oil would be Formula Cura X.

Crank:
If weight is a concern at all. Go Quarq or XX SL carbon cranks. The weight saving vs cost is really worth it. I'd even use XX SL crank with GX groupset on a mid tier build...

pushpush

by pushpush

Hexsense wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:36 am
Brakes:
I like Lewis LV2 better than XTR so far. Another good brakes that use Mineral Oil would be Formula Cura X.

Crank:
If weight is a concern at all. Go Quarq or XX SL carbon cranks. The weight saving vs cost is really worth it. I'd even use XX SL crank with GX groupset on a mid tier build...
I've read good things about the Lewis but not tried them. I agree about the XX SL cranks. They have been really durable for their weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Hexsense wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:36 am
Brakes:

Crank:
I went from 2 piston XTR to 4 piston Lewis LH4. Now I know what good brakes feel like! Love 'em!

I agree on the crank. I regret not building my evo with a sram crank like I did on my Tarmac.