Epic refresh in '23 or '24

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:03 am
This is floating around already I think.
Data looks a bit rough still. For example, the reach numbers on the small don't make a lot of sense compared to other sizes.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:49 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:03 am
This is floating around already I think.
Data looks a bit rough still. For example, the reach numbers on the small don't make a lot of sense compared to other sizes.
That's the number for XL.
I believe XS reach is 390,
S is 420,
M is 450,
L is 475,
XL is 500

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Yup, looks like a rough draft got out. I wonder if the values are all there though for the most part.

I just bought a complete base model closeout '23 Evo and stripped it down to the frame and rebuilt it up with XTR/AXS, the new SID Ultimate and Sidluxe 3P kit, LB wheels, Lewis 4 pot brakes, etc. I will try and post it soon. Been a blast to ride!

kgcx

by kgcx

HHH wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:15 pm
snaxez wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:03 pm
req110 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:06 pm
i ordered a sworks frameset. i am going to build the bike in the middle of march. i chose the regular satin black colour.

my build will consist of

sworks epic 120/120 frameset, satin carbon, size L, 3p lockouts
sram xx gruppo
sram level ultimate stealth brakes
berg ratheberg 30 wheelset with sw fastrak/renegade 2.35 combo
will elaborate on cockpit and seatpost, it should come with carbon rigid seatpost
How much was the frameset? Does it come with FA?
All the framesets come with combo Sid/Sid Luxe with 3 positions.
No Flight in framasets.
Only Flight in SWorks bike complete.
Are you sure the S-Works Frameset is only being shipped with the remote lockout and not FA?
My dealer who I placed a frameset order with said it woul be coming with FA and the rep confirmed.

kgcx

by kgcx

Nevermind, you are correct. The rep had it wrong intially and I have cancelled my frameset order.

req110

by req110

I ordered this bike frameset, because i decided, that THIS TIME, i have to get it asap, at whatever cost, because it will give me at 3-4 year of piece in mind.

Previous Epic was "ridable" at 4/2020, my friend had it from the first batch. I was riding my old Spark and efforded Epic almost one year later as fact11m, then at 5/2022 as fact12m... and i was scratching my head right away, as rumours started spreading that new Epic will not have brain, etc, etc.

This time i want to be covered for as long as possible. Some like i decided with SL8.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

kgcx

by kgcx

Yeah I agree that you should get it if you are coming from the regular Epic.

I already had an Evo setup with the new remote lockout system, so I didn't have much to gain in my eyes so I cancelled and I will wait until FA becomes available on non full builds.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

kgcx wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:57 pm
HHH wrote:
snaxez wrote:
req110 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:06 pm
i ordered a sworks frameset. i am going to build the bike in the middle of march. i chose the regular satin black colour.

my build will consist of

sworks epic 120/120 frameset, satin carbon, size L, 3p lockouts
sram xx gruppo
sram level ultimate stealth brakes
berg ratheberg 30 wheelset with sw fastrak/renegade 2.35 combo
will elaborate on cockpit and seatpost, it should come with carbon rigid seatpost
No Flight in framasets.
Are you sure the S-Works Frameset is only being shipped with the remote lockout and not FA?
My dealer who I placed a frameset order with said it woul be coming with FA and the rep confirmed.
What was the list price for Sworks frame w/ FA?

HHH

by HHH

ccie6872 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:40 pm
kgcx wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:57 pm
HHH wrote:
snaxez wrote:

No Flight in framasets.
What was the list price for Sworks frame w/ FA?
There’s NO...SWORKS frameset + FA.
Only SWorks+ FA bike complete.

req110

by req110

Do you even need FA ? I just watched a few videos and i don't see any usecase for FA and i am pretty glad that i will have 3p lockouts.

If i understand correctly, it does not work the way electronic suspension on race motorbikes does, where it really reads profile of track, ideally ahead of time.

It just reads the current situation and then it sets either OPEN or PEDAL or LOCK MODEs.

In my XC races i am riding:

- downhill - OPEN mode
- uphill technical - PEDAL mode
- paved sections - LOCK mode

That means that majority of pedaling, i will be in the pedal mode, downhills on open mode, and if there is some paved section, i might switch to lock mode, but that's rare.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

kgcx

by kgcx

Do I think you need FA, no but I think it will be really useful when racing XC or even Marathon.

I know it just swaps between the 3 pedal modes, so I am not gaining anything in that sense. Where the gain in my eyes is that when you are fatiguing later in the race, it is just one less thing you have to focus on. I was doing some mock XCO practice last week and I was probably swapping pedal modes with the remote 75 times an hour. That was easy to do for about the first 45 mins to an hour, but when you start getting tired it becomes more challenging to always be in the optimal mode.

Anyway it goes, you will be extremely happy with the new remote system. Having a lockout on a bike as capable of the current evo and new epic makes them weapons on any trail system.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

kgcx wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:00 pm
Do I think you need FA, no but I think it will be really useful when racing XC or even Marathon.

I know it just swaps between the 3 pedal modes, so I am not gaining anything in that sense. Where the gain in my eyes is that when you are fatiguing later in the race, it is just one less thing you have to focus on. I was doing some mock XCO practice last week and I was probably swapping pedal modes with the remote 75 times an hour. That was easy to do for about the first 45 mins to an hour, but when you start getting tired it becomes more challenging to always be in the optimal mode.

Anyway it goes, you will be extremely happy with the new remote system. Having a lockout on a bike as capable of the current evo and new epic makes them weapons on any trail system.
Flight Attendant is just one more thing to break in a race.

forgottenOne

by forgottenOne

I already had an Evo setup with the new remote lockout system, so I didn't have much to gain in my eyes so I cancelled and I will wait until FA becomes available on non full builds.
[/quote]

FA will be also available separately. I've ordered it already through my dealer.

forgottenOne

by forgottenOne

req110 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:38 am
Do you even need FA ? I just watched a few videos and i don't see any usecase for FA and i am pretty glad that i will have 3p lockouts.

If i understand correctly, it does not work the way electronic suspension on race motorbikes does, where it really reads profile of track, ideally ahead of time.

It just reads the current situation and then it sets either OPEN or PEDAL or LOCK MODEs.

In my XC races i am riding:

- downhill - OPEN mode
- uphill technical - PEDAL mode
- paved sections - LOCK mode

That means that majority of pedaling, i will be in the pedal mode, downhills on open mode, and if there is some paved section, i might switch to lock mode, but that's rare.

What i know so far is that it will learn and adapt like you ride. With the trigger you can oversteer the automatic mode and it will also adapt. Additionally you can set in the axs app some rules like ">500 Watt = Lock mode". The biggest question for me is "how much additional weight" adds the FA compared to the non FA Version.

snaxez

by snaxez

forgottenOne wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:09 am

FA will be also available separately. I've ordered it already through my dealer.
Is that custom tuned to epic, or is it just off the shelf upgrade kit?
What was the price range for the kit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com