BMC Teamelite TE01 XT Di2 vs Teamelite 03 THREE

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ODC

by ODC

Wich one would i choose?
The BMC Teamelite TE01 XT Di2 is the 2017 model wich i can get around 4000 euro/4000 dollar
The BMC Teamelite 03 THREE is the 2018 model and will cost around 1300 euro/1300 dollar

I know it is a big difference.
Alloy vs Carbon
Mechanical vs DI2

But i ask myself do i need such a expensive MTB.
For maintenance the di2 is maybe better?
There i am a true road racer i only want to have a MTB for when it is bad weather.
I'm not going to bike in the woods with this MTB. Only for wet roads and when it is raining so i have more grip on the Belgium roads and cobbles.

L3X

by L3X

Just go with the 03-three... there's really no need for carbon/di2 if you're only training on the road in the wet.

Given the goal for this bike, did you consider a CX or gravel bike that just allows to to put on wider tires for more grip? This will also allow you to better mimic your road bike position on your bad weather bike to begin with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

Mountain bike tyres may feel less grippy on the road because there is less tyre contacting the ground. Ideally you want a slick (no tread), wide tyre being ran at low pressures.

F45

by F45

Fell less grippy perhaps because the knobs can fold over, but the actual grip is only a function of the total force and friction coefficient.

However, if the mountain tire has a softer rubber than the road tire, and thus a higher friction coefficient, the total grip will be higher.

For this application on cobbles, the Schwalbe Hans Dampf Pacestar is actually good option. It has low rolling drag and a consistent knob pattern. Also look at Vittoria's G+ Mezcal and Goma.

I would go with the aluminum hard tail, the Teamlite 03. The Deore wear parts are super cheap to replace.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... g-one-2016
Check that out, you just need a fat slick tire.
I would also look into a Thunder Burt or Specialized Renegade for road use, I am sure there are others, but those two are some of the fastest rolling MTB tires you can get. I wouldn't run a Hans Dampf for road use, that is overkill.

TonyM

by TonyM

For a true road racer I would rather recommend you a BMC Roadmachine 03.

Tire clearance up to 30mm.
Fenders compatible! (Hidden mounts for the fenders)
Road bike geometry.
Disc brakes.
Not that expensive.
Aluminum. (BMC Roadmachine 02 is the carbon version).
Shimano 105 mech.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... ne-03-one/

F45

by F45

"As expected, the 'knobs' on the Big One are tiny with a height of just 0.5 mm at both the center and edge of the tire. The total measured thickness of the tire excluding the knobs is just 1.1 mm."

haha. You recommend he rides on cobbles with 1.1-1.6mm of rubber? Even a road racing tire is 2.5mm.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Thunder Burts are some of the worst tires I've used, a Han Damf is very aggressive, so I don't see why you recommend either. He'd be better served with something like a Compass tire or the mentioned Schwalbe, or maybe something like the G One All Rounds, than your suggestion. I don't see why you need a full on MTB for cobbles and bad road conditions, but that's just me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com