Not as fast on new bike - any ideas?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

Morning fellas.

I wondered if anyone has ever had a situation where they are slower on a new bike and what could contribute to the lack of speed?

I had a hardtail Cube (3x9) and replaced 90% of the parts on it, got the weight down from 13.5kg to a 11kg bike and it was blistering, after 3 years on that I went and built my fully carbon 27.5er hardtail (2 x 10) and that's coming in at 9.3kg with more or less slick tyres on it.

For some reason this new bike doesn't feel as fast as my old Cube and I am wondering what it is that's holding me back and what I can do to get that familiar speed back?

Maybe it's an illusion, maybe the wheel has to travel a further distance and the 26er was spinning more? I don't know, maybe it's the gearing?

If anyone else has had anything like this happen or if you know of why this bike feels / is slower i.e. you can tell by the gearing or something I'd love to know what could be wrong.

Cheers :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

only way to tell is with a stop watch. Subjective feelings are notoriously inaccurate.

Delorre

by Delorre

spud wrote:only way to tell is with a stop watch. Subjective feelings are notoriously inaccurate.

Yep, but at our performance level, only the feeling you have on the bike really counts. Even it's faster, is the feeling tells you not, you don't really enjoy the bike. At least, that is how I look at it.

Delorre

by Delorre

@ Digitalalert : difficult to tell without a build list of both bikes. It can be the components weight distribution such as wheels, but also other seating position on the bike, more or less stiff frameset / wheels. A too stiff frameset can feel dead if you don't have enough power, or otherwise, a light and weak frameset can give you the feeling to absord power.

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

Cheers guys thanks for the input.

:thumbup:

AJS914

by AJS914

It's probably an illusion. Do you have times on Strava segments to compare?

I had a frame with a very stiff rear end. When the road was as smooth as glass, it felt faster than any bike I've ever had. When the road wasn't so great, I was hating this bike because it was beating me up. I had to get rid of it but I still sort of miss it.
Last edited by AJS914 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalArt

by DigitalArt

I do have some times saved still but I was a couple stone lighter then.

I tell you what I have changed and that's the seat height and I noticed an immediate speed increase. It was borderline too high before, now I'm proper on my tip toes an it feels too high for a mountain bike, can barely get on and off the thing lol.

I'm not sure if the carbon frame has anything to do with it.

Appreciate the info though guys :)

mattr

by mattr

So you've mucked around with a position that probably wasn't right in the first place (by the sounds of it anyway) and feel slower.

Either replicate the original position. Or just get your position sorted out properly.

gootchio

by gootchio

Lighter bike and wheels do have less inertia so on flat, steady ride it could be slower.
Last edited by gootchio on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gootchio

by gootchio

Ups wrong edit.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

in my opinion sub-optimal geometry is the most likely culprit. after that it could be mental. if its a very small difference wheel and tire selection might be at issue.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

jonasd

by jonasd

I recommend going with higher volume tires (or if you liked your old model tires maybe those). And consider a dropper post. I know both those options add weight, but they add a ton of speed and enjoyment too, IMHO. But ultimately if speed is your main concern its time to get out the stopwatch and do some side-by-side comparisons with your old bike.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Semi-slick tires, unless you ride nothing but rail trails and dirt roads, probably aren't faster than "real" MTB tires on actual MTB trails.

Saving a few watts in Crr vs. cornering traction. That time spent braking with those semi-slick tires adds up.

wingguy

by wingguy

LeDuke wrote:Semi-slick tires, unless you ride nothing but rail trails and dirt roads, probably aren't faster than "real" MTB tires on actual MTB trails.

That was my second thought.

My first thought is that 'It feels slower' is, in mountain biking far more than road, an incredibly vague and nebulous statement. It feels slower how? Sprinting? Climbing? Descending? Cornering? Holding speed on smooth surfaces? Carrying speed over rough? On what sort of terrain do you ride? On what sort of surface?

Even with that info it could be difficult to give an accurate answer, without it no-one is doing anything but stabbing wildly in the dark.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

mattr wrote:So you've mucked around with a position that probably wasn't right in the first place (by the sounds of it anyway) and feel slower.

Either replicate the original position. Or just get your position sorted out properly.

this. i felt slower on a new built bike...only to find that the position wasn't quite dialed in.
5mm here, 2mm there. seemed like it made a difference.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc