Maxxis Aspen tubeless (29er) tire release date?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

So Nino has been riding Maxxis Aspen (29") tubeless tires in a couple of races now (see, e.g., http://www.pinkbike.com/news/5-cross-co ... ships.html).

So far, the Aspen has only been available in a tube-version (http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-280-aspen). Does anyone know when the tubeless version of the Aspen will be released? I'd like to try it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeg26er

by joeg26er

I have use Maxxis Aspen Exceptions as tubeless in 26er (i know) and 29er versions on Notubes Gold Race wheels. Works fantastic. Weights around 518-514g for 29er tire

Excellent tire, fast and sure footed in a variety of surfaces.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I would much prefer to use a tubeless-compatible tire. I've not heard good things about setting up non-tubeless compatible Maxxis tires up tubeless.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

I had about 6 tires and chose the lightest of the batch. I set mine up on Stans Notube Race Gold 29er wheels. Mounted with Topeak JoeBlow Mountain High Volume floor pump. Bead sets really tight. But not too tight, can still change tire on trail.

Used stans fluid - about 2 oz or so. Used for well over 2 years in all conditions. Water crossings, over 100 degree weather, rocky descents in WNC Pisgah. Used in Leadville. No issues. I would not hesitate to use these and suggest to friends.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

That's all fine, but I'd prefer if we could get back on topic. There are plenty threads about the tubed version of the tire, if I was interested in that.

DanW

by DanW

How do you know Nino wasn't on the tubed version as the other poster here?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I am not 100% sure he wasn't. But the tires did have the "prototype tire for testing, not for general use" label.

It would make sense for them to make a tubeless ready version (as they recently did with the Beaver) IMO.

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Cool - thanks! I wonder if that's something new, or whether they have always been on the English website...

stoney

by stoney

Also interesting that they don't have weights listed for the 29x2.1 Aspen's in the TR and TR/EXO category.

DanW

by DanW

Looks fairly new, I seem to remember checking a while back although the Maxxis website is a PITA to navigate and seems to have different info on different country's sites. Interesting nonetheless, thanks for bringing up :)

hjb1000

by hjb1000

DanW wrote:How do you know Nino wasn't on the tubed version as the other poster here?

Are you suggesting Nino might have won at Rio with tubes?? If so that would be pretty funny would it..

stoney

by stoney

No doubt Maxxis has a special version for Nino. He hasn't flatted in a race since he switched wheelsets and tires (Maxxis "prototype" Aspen). When he went to a 29er he tried at first some Dugast 29er tubulars but suffered 2 or 3 punctures in races and then he made the switch to the Aspen. I don't believe he has lost a race since making the switch.

DanW

by DanW

Are you suggesting Nino might have won at Rio with tubes?? If so that would be pretty funny would it..

Not at all, just that you don't need to run a Maxxis TR version to run tubeless. Beavers for example weren't available in 29x2.00 TR until recently but the "normal" dual compound tyre is a tubeless favourite in the UK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com