Fork Options 120mm 29er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

Hi Guys,

Right I'm going to start on my first full susp for next season.
I'm going to be having a Felt Edict FRD 2016 frame, I've got all my other parts I want in mind but my main problem is forks. I'd love a set of RS-1 but with both sets of Enves running Chris King I don't want to change the hubs.
So I'm after good set of 120mm forks preferably lightweight or good performance.

My current two options are -

Rock Shox SID XX WC 120mm Carbon Tapered 2016
dt swiss opm o.d.l 120 ltd 2016

What's your guys thoughts who's running the forks?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm running a "standard" aluminum DT Swiss OPM ODL 120.

It's pretty damn nice. I imagine the LTD version is even better (lighter!).

wingguy

by wingguy

Carlin wrote:Rock Shox SID XX WC 120mm Carbon Tapered 2016
dt swiss opm o.d.l 120 ltd 2016

What are you going to be using it for? The Sid is very light and smooth travel, but at 120mm on a 29r would be extremely flexy if ridden hard on rougher trails...

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I know a few who are running 120 mm Pikes on their XC bikes, and seem happy with it. Weight is close to the RS-1 as far as I remember.

Carlin

by Carlin

The reason I was thinking of running 120mm is because when I test rode the Felt Edict FRD it came with 120mm RS-1 forks and alot of 29er XC full susp even in UCI seem to be running 120mm front forks nowadays. I would run 100mm but want to try and get the same handling as to the full build with RS-1 forks.
I've always ran SIDs in the past and I think I'll be sticking with them because atleast I can run full remote lockout front an rear. They are also the lightest forks I've found whilst shopping about too.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

My DT Swiss 120mm feels stiffer than my 90mm RS SID, FWIW.

wingguy

by wingguy

Carlin wrote:and alot of 29er XC full susp even in UCI seem to be running 120mm front forks nowadays. I would run 100mm but want to try and get the same handling as to the full build with RS-1 forks.

Be aware that just because the production bike runs 120mm doesn't mean the world cup racers run 120. For instance Nino uses a 100mm fork on his Spark and sometimes spaces it down to 90 or even 80mm.

jooo

by jooo

For sure and chances are quite a few riders use forks with custom internals so they don't perform anything like a stock fork.

Carlin

by Carlin

Thanks guys

Well after the information I got from here and also from the Felt Demo guys'
I will be running the 100mm SID WC XX it seems the likes of your UCI boys etc run the 120mm forks but the internals are actually 100mm so obviously do as a selling technique for us consumers wanting them and like myself could of made that mistake.

So here's just idea what I'll be building hopefully get the weight down to under 22lb

FELT FRD Edict 2016 frame
SID WC XX Carbon tapered 2016
Monorca XX rear shock 2016
Chris King BB
FSA headset kit
Full Sram XX1 groupset
KMC X11 SL gold
Extralite 80mm stem
Extralite 740mm handlebars
Extralite seatpost
FIZIK Tundra 00
Egg Beaters Titanium
Hope X2 Brakes
KCNC discs 160mm front and 140mm rear
Wheels Enve M60 with Chris king hubs
All bolts are titanium

So fingers cross it'll be a nice smooth ride at the end of it.

Only thing I like to change is the front ring, I'm running the standard 32 sram ring. But what's ppl thoughts on the RaceFace 34t direct mount as I believe I'd save some weight there but anyone had any issues with the rings over sram (chain drop)?

Thanks

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Are you racing the bike? I'm curious why you went with CK hubs, compared to, e.g., DT Swiss. I'm surprised the bike is not lighter. I thought the M60s were quite light, maybe not.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'd get an oval direct mount ring from AB or Garbaruk. Much better quality than the RF rings.

Carlin

by Carlin

the_marsbar wrote:Are you racing the bike? I'm curious why you went with CK hubs, compared to, e.g., DT Swiss. I'm surprised the bike is not lighter. I thought the M60s were quite light, maybe not.

Yes its going to be a race bike and I prefer the CK hubs over DT Swiss plus I got better deal and my lhs has very good support from the distribution too.

Carlin

by Carlin

LeDuke wrote:I'd get an oval direct mount ring from AB or Garbaruk. Much better quality than the RF rings.

Yeah that's good option I was thinking of the oval rings but not met or ridden with anyone who runs them yet to get some feedback.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

34t. Smooths out the pedal stroke, improves traction.

I haven't done a true scientific study, but there was a notable decrease in climbing times when I made the switch. And, I seem to get bogged down more on my bike that didn't have one. Now, both of my MTBs have one.

Carlin

by Carlin

LeDuke wrote:Image

34t. Smooths out the pedal stroke, improves traction.

I haven't done a true scientific study, but there was a notable decrease in climbing times when I made the switch. And, I seem to get bogged down more on my bike that didn't have one. Now, both of my MTBs have one.

Thanks for that buddy I'll have ag them but am I right in thinking there bloody pain in the ass on delivery services? I think Absolute Black do a nice version too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com