10x135 mm skewer

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

who is using 10x135mm skever at rear ?
http://eliflap.it/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadieboy

by roadieboy

I use the DT Swiss 9x100 through bolt up front, big improvement over my crappy Stan's skewer. I would use their rear through bolt if my hub supported it.

bmCube

by bmCube

I have a 9x100mm at front and a 10x135mm at rear. Both DT Swiss RWS.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

anyone is searching for a light part ?

FRM skever , task team , is 44 g

SOUL KOZAK is 54 g

DT SWISS , maybe 60 g

a friend done a custom skewer in his factory, at 34 g

http://eliflap.it/2014/12/22/sgancio-posteriore-10x135/

i have a 15mm TA on Rock Shox style on my roadie, done over 7000 km with no issues

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I am using a DT 10x135 on the rear of my Sir9 Dingle speed. I love it. It is perfect for a dingle speed. I start the ride in my 32x20 and then after my old knees get warmed up I unscrew the skewer and drop the wheel an inch and then tighten the skewer enough to hold the wheel. Then I back pedal the chain onto the 34x18 loosten the skewer let the wheel slide back up into the top of the dropouts, tighten the skewer and I am on my way. I see no need for all those fancy and mostly manufacturer specific thru axle setups that would make it almost impossible to easily switch a dingle speed and I can't tell any difference in flex on a steel bike for sure.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

I do have dt RWS 135/10 rear, it has constant axle diameter compared to FRM and Soul Kozak which are 10mm only at the end of axle. RWS lever is heavier for sure, but i would expect constant diameter 10 mm hollow axle be stiffer than tapered design used by FRM and Soul Kozak.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I know this is mtb section, but one of my rides is the Storck road disc frame, 9x100 front & 10x135 rear, both DT RWS axles.
Difficult to find a lighter aftermarket 10mm bolt&nut axle.

However, I am tempted to drill out the rear to 12mm...

Ainsy

by Ainsy

I run a DT Swiss 10X135 on my Giant. Easy enough to install but wouldn't bother with it if had my time again and would stick with the 135x5 QR that the frame came with.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I'm interested in this question also. Anyone know the diameter down to which the FRM tapers? Eyeballing it, it seems like it might be ~6-7mm, in which case is it likely to be any stiffer than a 5mm Ti or Steel QR? They're nice and light, but is it giving up most of the benefits that the thru bolt is intended to provide?

jooo

by jooo

is it likely to be any stiffer than a 5mm Ti or Steel QR?
Check this out:

According to this test, the stiffness of the DT thru bolt doesn't even match the XTR or Mavic skewers tested. The Tune skewer is only a tiny bit less stiff, but also weighs half as much

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@jooo: That's pretty surprising! I wish my german were better and I could understand how they set up the test. Seems surprising that the x12 system is that much better than the maxle one also. Given that the results are counter-intuitive, what are they implying? That the stiffness is not affected or limited significantly by the thickness of the skewer, but by something else? Because there's no way that the DT 135x10 is less stiff to bending than a QR skewer (I know I could bend the latter in my hand, not the former). But maybe it's not the skewer bending that comes into play, but it stretching (not helped as much by increased diameter)? But that doesn't make a lot of sense either because then the X12 wouldn't do so much better. So maybe it's the size of interface with the frame (X12 having a bigger diameter end-cap)?

jooo

by jooo

It's quite an old test from when X-12 first came out. I'm assuming the Maxle they've used is the original type because they've said 135x12. The original system didn't have any shoulders on the frame to help lock the hub in place. I'd imagine the current versions are pretty much on par with X12 seeing as the 142 frame interface is now similar to X-12.

As to what you've said about bending a skewer or thru axle in your hand, that doesn't seem to matter. This kinda makes sense to me - the protrusions on quick release end caps that mount into the frame are the same diameter as the thru axle. As you've said, the tension side of things wouldn't really change much with a skewer vs thru axle.

I think your point about a bigger end cap seems to be part of the key. The hub/frame interface either needs to have a huge contact area ala Specialized OS28 or have some other interface that helps to lock the two parts together.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Be really curious to get some input from people who have switched their wheel from QR to 135x10 or 100x9 how they thing it affected the ride. That study is super interesting and raises lots of questions. One other thought I had is that maybe the stiffness as measured in the study somehow isn't what people actually feel when they are riding? Have you seen those videos of the RS-1 and it's amazing lack of torsional stiffness, demonstrated by someone holding the wheel between their knees and trying to twist the bars? It looks like a total noodle, and yet people I know who have ridden the fork say that it feels really great/stiff (including one pro friend who really knows his equipment and isn't an automatic fan-boy).

pushstart

by pushstart

I switched my rear setup to 135x10 on the commuter/cx bike. I notice no difference. I mainly did it because I got a deal on a pair of Hope hubs in that configuration.

I also run 100x9 up front, but have no controlled comparison. When I switched wheelsets, I also switched forks. So lots of variables. It wouldn't surprise me if it weren't stiffer, since I can still make rotors rub (pads are close) up front.

I will say that 100x15 seems to be a significant improvement on my carbon road bike, though again that is a different fork than the one I used to run 100x9 on that bike. (But same wheels, converted hubs.)

So I feel like the 9mm thru-bolt up front makes things stiffer, but that is assuming that the new fork (Spot cx) is as stiff as the Whisky 7 fork it replaced.

I would be interested in hearing reports from folks that have compared with same fork and wheels.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

where can i buy a light 10x135mm skewer ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com