KCNC X7 or Magura MT-8 ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fattrucker

by Fattrucker

Hi

I have just searched for some info / reviews of the KCNC X7 disc brake and have come up with nada :(
Can someone provide me with a link / clicky please as I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on here :thumbup:

Also what are the Magura MT-8 brakes like in comparison to the KCNC's or any other brakes for that matter ?

Are there any other suggestions as to reliable , powerful alternatives ?

I would like something reasonable light at around or close to the same price as the Magura's or KCNC's but I don't want to be adjusting pads / discs every other ride or bleeding them once a week .

TIA guys

Fattrucker

02GF74

by 02GF74

amongst the lightest are Formula R1

not sure where you are based but you can get a pair of these new for £ 300 - a lot less than the price of the KCNC brakes. (also see ebay and you can get closer to £ 200)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69866

although only rear is listed, buy 2 sets and shorten the hose for the front lever - levers are symmetrical. :thumbup:

apart from not being able to use these with Hope SAW rotors, I have not come across any problems or complaints about Formula R1 brakes.

... I dare say others will suggest alternatives - one to avoid is the earlier Avid XX - google and there is no end of problems. (I have the latest model and not had any problems but not done many miles - they are 50g heavier than R1 and for me, the lever is not in an ideal position).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fattrucker

by Fattrucker

Thanks O2GF74 , I keep forgetting about the Formula brakes . From recollection didn't they have some sort of leaking seal issue (was this related to just one model of brake or the entire line ?) or has this been resolved on the newer models ?

P.S. I have managed to get the price of the KCNC X7 down to around £340 delivered iirc :wink:

Fattrucker

dhphat

by dhphat

i would stay away from the KCNC's I've purchased 4 items from them over the years and have had 2 of them brake on me. On top of that they never returned my emails, when i tried to get the situation resolved. I'd look at the Magura's if these are the only 2 you are looking for.

I personally just got a set of the new XTR's and love them, and all of my other bikes I run Hope. So I would recommend looking at those guys as well.
Rapha cycling's Ed Hardy

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

XTR is my top choice. Then Magura, then formula.
I have yet to find a downside to the XTR. maybe the weight, I've never actually weighed them (what?!). MT8 are just a little soft feeling at the lever. It reminds me of the Sram 9.0sl v-brake levers from back in the day. they were composite as well, and even though they supposedly tested as stiff as others, there was a sense of give at the lever. biggest gripe with the formulas is the pads run pretty close so they're more likely to rub, and in the US or around here at least, formula pads aren't often stocked.
As for avids, well:

tetonrider

by tetonrider

thisisatest wrote:XTR is my top choice. Then Magura, then formula.
I have yet to find a downside to the XTR. maybe the weight, I've never actually weighed them (what?!). MT8 are just a little soft feeling at the lever. It reminds me of the Sram 9.0sl v-brake levers from back in the day. they were composite as well, and even though they supposedly tested as stiff as others, there was a sense of give at the lever. biggest gripe with the formulas is the pads run pretty close so they're more likely to rub, and in the US or around here at least, formula pads aren't often stocked.

XTR brakes are great, but in typical Shimano fashion they are not the lightest. They have great power and modulation--some of which is due to the fantastic IceTech rotors (heavy).

I just got a set of MT8 levers with a bike, but I'm planning to sell them. They are light, but I have other bikes with Formulas (equally light, if not a hair lighter) and would rather keep things consistent.

The OP won't go wrong with newer formulas. Also, word is that the 2013s have pads that retract a bit more than earlier models, which will help with setup and reduce drag. I have found it was often challenging (not impossible, just harder than with other brakes) to get to a situation with no rub. Add in lightweight rotors which are subject to more warping and you've got a problem.

Fattrucker

by Fattrucker

Thanks guys , no other lightweight good performing stoppers I should be looking at then other than formulas ?

Elstorma

by Elstorma

My vote is for Magura MT.

Mainly cos i prefer mineral oil as compared to dot.

the the MTs are good performers

stuka666

by stuka666

R1, the new Racing with ECT.

Cheaper than the Magura, and far better. Forget the KCNC.

Bradley

by Bradley

I've recently bought an MT6 and am looking to sell it already.

I would consider something like the Shimano XTR's or Hope X2 Race if you don't mind a tad extra weight although i'll be going down this route.Extra weight is worth it if it's reliable kit.

Fattrucker

by Fattrucker

@Bradley What's the problem with the MT6's ? I've heard of a seal problem on the first MT8's (too hard of a durometer on the piston seal allowing air to seep in and a re-bleed)

Bradley

by Bradley

It wasn't a seal issue with the MT6,I'm a pretty particular mechanic/cyclist and like everything spot on on my bikes.I found it frustrating to use, the lever pulled back far too close to the handlebars,i tried the new bleed procedure found on the Magura Forum that alot of the MT6/8 owners were doing to improve the lever feel which worked but the lever slowly seemed to creep back after a few rides.The main thing was how poor of a fit the small bush that holds the Piston rod in the lever blade was,this was such a bad fit the first 4-5mm of lever movement was just taking up the play/slack in the bush then the brake would start to work.For how much the brakes cost this is a very simple part that shouldn't have such an issue.

It has been my first Magura brake on my own bike and I don't think I'll be using them again for a while.I have decided to use a Hope Stealth Race X2 instead now.

Hope this was of some help.

Fattrucker

by Fattrucker

Thanks Bradley , yeah , I tend to like a shorter lever stroke before the brake bites too . So the experience you've had would be a deal breaker for me :(

Just wondering if anyone has actually used the X7 at all to provide feedback ? I realise that the other suggestions are good quality and folks have had experience with these recommended products .
But nobody even has a friend of a friend who heard someone had once used a set of KCNC X7 brakes ?

Thanks guys

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Not sure if the KCNC X-7 had a shorter lever stroke compared to other brakes, but I noticed flex on the MC like it is also pulled in by the lever when squeezed. I haven't even built my bike completely when I sold mine after I compared the X-7 with Formula R-1. I think too much CNC work was done one the lever-MC-Handlebar mount unit like their VB-1 brake levers, but the calipers are really cool and the pads had better distance from the rotors compared to my R1s. I wish you could combine the calipers to other levers out there. Also, the MC reservoir cap bolts are very tiny and made of aluminum. I stripped one when I tried to take pictures to ask somebody to make a custom carbon version, so I replaced them all with Ti which made the whole system 1 gram heavier, but more reliable, but I didn't feel it was solid enough because of the flex, hence the reason for selling it. Hope this helped...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxle

by maxle

Take the MT8 !
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.