[Project] Chris King NoThreadSet - 82g

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rycki

by rycki

Hi,
I'd like to present my project of Chris King NoThreadSet.
Browsing the Polish light-bike forum intrigued me Adamello's project and I decided to do something with my headset.

The first plan was to perform the GripLock cap with cone in one piece, exactly like original CK, but made of carbon fiber.
I intended to do the GripLock of carbon spacer, but it has a larger inner diameter than the original CK item, and I was afraid of backlash.
The second thing I feared, was that the carbon cone would be hard enough to not knead.
Finally I decided to separated cone of cap and made cone of alloy. Indeed I made a prototype of carbon cone, 0,4g lighter than alloy, but I didn't decide to use it.
The remaining cap's part was taken of 1mm carbon plate.

The second element of headset that has been changed, was baseplate. I designed a thinner and lighter version and made of alloy.

The final result on a scale give 82g. 16,7g less than the oryginal CK set.

Set ridden since the spring and works great.
Attachments
ck8.jpg
ck7.jpg
ck6.jpg
ck5.jpg
ck4.jpg
ck3.jpg
ck2.jpg
ck1.jpg
ck0.jpg

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I think you could make a side business selling your CK alloy baseplate in a 1.5" size. The new CK tapered headsets only have available steel baseplates in those sizes (at least for the 1" or 1.125" they have a Ti version that weighs less). I don't remember the weight on the one I had in hand, but I think it was around 40g or something like that. An alloy one would represent a big weight saving! (I went with the Cane Creek alternative because it weighs 40g less... mostly because they use an alloy baseplate)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com